Looking into Anatomic Path residency... tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awesomenessity

only cut don't close
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm starting 3rd year in the fall and am starting to look into Anatomic Path residencies (mostly the Canadian ones). Ideally I would like to either teach at a vet school or work in a diagnostic service after completing the residency.

I'm basically just looking to see what tips you guys have for improving my application, life in general, etc. I've read through all the forum posts, but would like more specific advice on the following questions:

1) Is there anything I can do during the next two years of my vet degree to improve my application? Unfortunately we start rotations immediately after completing third year, so I won't be able to do anything "extra" (like externships) before I graduate... I might be able to fit a two week rotation in during my vacation time but that would be about it. I am currently working as a Pathology Support Assistant for my school's diagnostic unit, so I do have at least one "related experience" item. My GPA is currently a 3.5.

2) I am planning to apply to some programs straight out of vet school... if I don't get into a program, what backup options should I look at? I would be most interested in doing an internship, so what would be some good options? I would probably be most interested in equine GP or diagnostic imaging. Are there pathology internships? lol

3) When looking at residencies, how important is a PhD in the long-term? I have basically zero research experience, so that could be problematic... I am one of the leads for my class' third year research project, but I doubt that would be of any real significance.

4) Similar to Questions 1 and 3: at my school you are able to choose "areas of emphasis" for your fourth year rotations. I was thinking of doing Production Animal Health (if only for feedlot postmortems, etc), but would doing the Research stream be better? For the research stream I would have to find a professor and come up with a research project, which I would work on throughout fourth year. I think it could be an opportunity to get more pathology related experience, and research experience, if I play my cards right. Thoughts?

I think that's all... thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!

1) Is there anything I can do during the next two years of my vet degree to improve my application? Unfortunately we start rotations immediately after completing third year, so I won't be able to do anything "extra" (like externships) before I graduate... I might be able to fit a two week rotation in during my vacation time but that would be about it. I am currently working as a Pathology Support Assistant for my school's diagnostic unit, so I do have at least one "related experience" item. My GPA is currently a 3.5.

Having that specific experience is definitely helpful. At this point, if you haven't already, I would start networking as much as you can with any and all pathologists at your institution. Another great opportunity to consider would be trying to attend ACVP and presenting a student poster - see if your school or department woul dhave funds available for you to attend. That's a great place to introduce yourself to people.

2) I am planning to apply to some programs straight out of vet school... if I don't get into a program, what backup options should I look at? I would be most interested in doing an internship, so what would be some good options? I would probably be most interested in equine GP or diagnostic imaging. Are there pathology internships? lol

Would these be back-up options in terms of career, or just temporary options while you prepare to apply to the next cycle? The answer ad to what is best would depend on your goal with the internship. For diagnostic imaging, I'm pretty sure you have to do a regular rotating internship first.

3) When looking at residencies, how important is a PhD in the long-term? I have basically zero research experience, so that could be problematic... I am one of the leads for my class' third year research project, but I doubt that would be of any real significance.

Many pathology residencies have built-in PhDs. Research experience is definitely considered a plus, but if the other parts of your application are strong they can make up for lack of experience in those areas. The importance of the PhD depends on what you want to end up doing. Diagnostic lab? Not necessary. Academia? Almost essential.

4) Similar to Questions 1 and 3: at my school you are able to choose "areas of emphasis" for your fourth year rotations. I was thinking of doing Production Animal Health (if only for feedlot postmortems, etc), but would doing the Research stream be better? For the research stream I would have to find a professor and come up with a research project, which I would work on throughout fourth year. I think it could be an opportunity to get more pathology related experience, and research experience, if I play my cards right. Thoughts?

Honestly, I think either or those would be fine.

However, as I said before, now is the critical time to start building relationships with the pathologists at your institution. Path is a very small field and everyone knows everyone (well, not literally, but you get the gist). If you can land some solid relationships and LORs with pathologists, that will help your application massively.

Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
However, as I said before, now is the critical time to start building relationships with the pathologists at your institution. Path is a very small field and everyone knows everyone (well, not literally, but you get the gist). If you can land some solid relationships and LORs with pathologists, that will help your application massively.

Good luck :)

Ahhh thank you! Very helpful! Thankfully as part of my job this summer I am working with EVERY pathologist at my school... Clin Path included! So I should have at least two solid LORs, one from the lead anatomic pathology professor and one from the director of the necropsy unit.

Thanks again, you’ve given me lots to think about :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sure thing.

If you have any opportunity to visit or do a rotation at any of the programs you are interested in, I would highly recommend that as well. Not anything that is super unique to pathology, but if you can visit or rotate, they will get a chance to know you better - or at least put a face with a name. You'd be surprised how far that goes. Almost all of the residents who were chosen in my program had come to visit beforehand.

Of course, again - not a hard and fast rule. Everyone's schedule is different and sometimes it is very difficult to schedule these things. However, it will give you a leg up if they know your personality (and it also gives you a chance to at least briefly evaluate the program).