Looking into DPT, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sloc234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am currently a junior at UCSD studying Human Biology. I'm interested in continuing my education in the field of Physical Therapy after I graduate and I am wondering what types of things I can do to make me a more competitive applicant. I hope to gain admission to USC's DPT program because I have wanted to go to school and live in Los Angeles for a while now. So I'm wondering, what types of clinical experience do DPT schools like? I am planning on volunteering at one of the hospitals in my hometown (San Jose) during the Summer of '09 to gain some experience in the physical therapy dept, but besides that and getting the best grades possible, is there anything else I can do to heighten my chances of getting accepted into a DPT school?

Members don't see this ad.

Try to work in different departments and gain a breadth of experience, as well as the required number of hours. Work in outpatient, but see if they can shuffle you to inpatient care, ICU, work rehab, orthopedics, etc. Obviously, make sure you take all the prereqs, get some good letters, and do well on the GREs. I haven't actually been accepted anywhere yet (haven't even sent in the apps), but I'm pretty sure these are all things you should do.

On a lighter note, man, if you can afford going to USC, mind spreading some of that cash around to some of the rest of us? ;-) I kid, I kid.

So I'm wondering, what types of clinical experience do DPT schools like? I am planning on volunteering at one of the hospitals in my hometown (San Jose) during the Summer of '09 to gain some experience in the physical therapy dept, but besides that and getting the best grades possible, is there anything else I can do to heighten my chances of getting accepted into a DPT school?

Is there a reason you are waiting until next summer to start volunteering/shadowing? I would get started with that immediately if at all possible. Schools would love to see a year of shadowing on your app rather than a few months (keep in mind that there will be some applicants that have been shadowing since high school). Even if it's just a few hours a week, it shows a commitment over time and should help you in the long run. They like to see variety too, which will be a lot easier if you give yourself more time: inpatient, outpatient, peds, geriatric, sports, etc. In addition, most schools require 1-2 recommendations from PTs, and you will get a much better letter from someone you've known longer than a few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good point. A decent place you might want to look into during the year might be your athletic department (if the hospital is only good for you during the summer. Hospital is better for sure). If it's big enough, it may have a licensed PT or two and not just Athletic trainers.

Yeah I am hoping to volunteer at the UCSD medical center during the academic year, but I will be back in NorCal in the summer so I'll have to find another hospital there to volunteer at. Also, I might require an extra quarter to graduate so if I begin volunteering next summer that will give me 2 summers before I submit any applications. Do you think 2 summers and dome part time work during the year is pretty solid?

I'm getting pretty nervous about the difficulty of getting into PT school, on these forums it seems like you have to have a REALLY good record to be a competitive applicant.

NO. Don't worry, you'll be solid. I've been told directly by a PT program director that if you apply to about 5 (I did eight) schools, you'll be ok. Don't stress, just do your thing. Besides, what positive effect is stressing going to have? ;-)

Solid overall applicants usually get in somewhere, don't worry.

Consider actually working as a physical therapy aide at either an outpatient PT practice, inpatient rehab hospital setting, or both. This will allow you to get some good, hands-on experience. Shadowing alone, IMO, does not truly show an applicant's committment. Plus, if you work for a facility, you'll have no problem finding a PT to shadow, and you can really divulge yourself into the guts of the profession.