Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Looking young

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by 4Eyes, Feb 20, 2007.

1. 4Eyes

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Everyone says it's a blessing, and I'm not really upset by it or anything, but I really don't look my age. I got married when I was almost 23 (I'm almost 25 now and I look exactly the same) and people everywhere I went from hair to reception thought I was 16! All the employees at all these various places were asking my parents and our guests how old I am...they were all shocked. A few times, my husband (who is less than 2 years older than me but looks slightly older than he is) has been mistaken as my dad!!

What do you think the implications (if any) will be when I'm out of school and practicing? Does anyone here have a similar experience? Hopefully I will impress my patients by being knowledgeable, professional, and confident during exams, but sometimes I just wonder if they will take me as seriously. Also, will it be harder to find patients if they know what I look like? Maybe people don't even care about this. I have no idea.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Thanks! :)

2. Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, you could always start chain-smoking while lying in the sun all day ...

3. sco1styear

5+ Year Member

Like you, I know that one day I'm going to be really thankful that people mistake me for a younger age but until then I have a new strategy...anytime someone says something about my age (I'm not talking about patients here) I'm acting like it's the first time anyone has ever said that and that I am extremely flattered :laugh:

4. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist

I get this a LOT !! (and for the record, I'm 31) I got it more when I first started practicing.. people telling me I didn't look old enough to be the doctor. I'd just smile and point to my diplomas and say "that's me!". By the end, they usually enjoy having the young, spunky doctor who also knows her stuff! ;)

Try not to be offended.. most of them are just hurt that someone the same age as their children is now old enough to be their doctor !! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OP
    OP
    4Eyes

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    :laugh: I *love* this idea.

I'm not so sure about the gray streak (redheads usually go gray early enough as it is!), but I have tried cutting off several inches. It didn't so much help. :p

Yeah, I'm not so much offended...and I really don't hear things THAT often in clinic, but the patients I see now are expecting to see a student. I just started wondering if it would ever affect business. But as long as they make it in the door I'm pretty sure I'll be able to win 'em over. :)

6. sethuel1

sethuel1 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I suggest growing a beard. Then people will stop asking about your age and start asking other questions instead.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. xmattODx

xmattODx Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

In my case: "When do I get to see the optometrist?" or "Are you homeless?"

8. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I grew facial hair for that reason, but now people guess my age to be 29-32 and I just turned 26. I guess the facial hair thing won't work for the girls, but for guys it works great.

As far as women looking young...that is not a bad thing. You may be asked if you can drive yet now, but you will also get to look young longer. And lets face it, society is very bias towards older women. Just look at the TV news. There is always a young hot girl and a older man. Looking young will serve you well.

9. HannahDH

HannahDH Immunologist
    2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, I am 29 and people always think I am 21 or even 19....
    trust me, it's good to look young :smuggrin: