Looks like we are moving in the right direction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urgewrx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resident Education Changes in Anesthesiology
In 2006, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) approved a new core anesthesiology curriculum with which programs must comply by July 2008. Notable changes in curriculum requirements include an increase from two to four months of critical care medicine and a change in pain medicine from one month of chronic pain clinic exposure to three months of pain medicine — one in chronic pain, one in acute pain and one in regional anesthesiology. Further, the curriculum includes a month-long new requirement in preoperative assessment and additional new months in cardiac anesthesiology, neurosurgical anesthesiology, obstetric anesthesiology and pediatric anesthesiology.

Members don't see this ad.

Resident Education Changes in Anesthesiology
In 2006, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) approved a new core anesthesiology curriculum with which programs must comply by July 2008. Notable changes in curriculum requirements include an increase from two to four months of critical care medicine and a change in pain medicine from one month of chronic pain clinic exposure to three months of pain medicine — one in chronic pain, one in acute pain and one in regional anesthesiology. Further, the curriculum includes a month-long new requirement in preoperative assessment and additional new months in cardiac anesthesiology, neurosurgical anesthesiology, obstetric anesthesiology and pediatric anesthesiology.

i know of more than a few programs that are going to struggle to implement all of that by 7/08.

i know of more than a few programs that are going to struggle to implement all of that by 7/08.

They'll probably need more people. What a wonderful reason to have AA's licensed in all states!

Members don't see this ad :)
UNM may not be on anyones radar as a top tier program but I did more than all of this during my residency.

SICU 4 months
MICU 1
PICU 1
NICU 1
Trauma (lots of ICU including Burn unit) 2
Pain 6
This includes my intern year. Everyone should look at the amount of CCM and pain they get from their programs. If they don't fill the bill, go elsewhere.

so did we. your list pretty much reflects my training experience, but not that much pain.

so did we. your list pretty much reflects my training experience, but not that much pain.

I chose to do that much pain. I also did 1 month of research. My ICU knowledge is pretty much gone now but the pain knowledge is still there for the most part. I may just be behind in some of the newer stuff. But it definitely comes in handy with regards to in house pain issues.