LOOKS Matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harps

Jatt Denominator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the cliche "Beauty in the eye of the beholder" quite well by now. But I am wondering still, considering how subjective the interview process is, whether looks play a role in acceptance. I mean, surely, someone who is considered beautiful/handsome must get some browny points. In fact, attraction might play a role in their review of the applicant. The reason I bring this up is because one of my friends is on the adcom for a UC med. school and he was just tell me about some girl he found really beautiful.And everyone knows that people generally tend to sympathize more with good looking people. A fact that cannot be denied--of course considering personality is not an issue. Oh yeah, even in the diversity of our country, there are people who are definitely considered more handsome/beautiful than other.
Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

the best you can do is look nice, look presentable enough to be a doctor. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

I imagine attractive candidates may tend to be remembered more, and may generally present a more positive image. However, I don't think this will make or break your application. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmmmmm......you guys are right. I just thought it was curious. Thank you!

Jot...although i didn't watch 20/20 last night, but I just went to abcnews to check it out. It basically, as its major feature, talked about the importance of beauty when it comes media coverage. Ex: Anna Kournikova--terrible tennis player, but makes millions and more medica coverage than other more talented players.
Ex: Jason Seahorn---not as talented as other football players but because he's handsome, more media coverage.

bottom line: looks matter a great deal whether people want to believe it or not.

fo sho!

esp if u r an attractive girl that's not so intelligent. b/c most interviewers r old male who wish they can get a piece of a PYT like u

I'll tell you something funny.

I did a podiatry residency at Los Angeles County/USC and pretty much every ortho guy was a stud. And when I say "guy" I mean every one of them were men except for two. One was Dot Richardson (if anyone remembers she was on the gold medal women's softball team for the U.S.). The other was good-looking, too.

I would say that it definitely exists. I read a post on a pod forum from a pod residency director and part of what he said was that females were picked pretty much based on their looks.

But, like the other poster commented, there isn't much you can do about it. Stay positive and confident in the interview and don't worry about it. I'm 40 years old and I know that I'm going to face age discrimination. I don't care though. I'm just going to keep going on interviews until someone sees the light.

the avg american man is 5'9????? according to that 20/20 article

I don't believe that. I'm almost 6 and i feel short many times!

"The desire for tall men begins very young, apparently. ABCNEWS gave elementary school students a test, asking them to match a small, medium or large figure of a man with a series of words. The kids overwhelmingly linked the tall figure to the words strong, handsome and smart. The linked the short figure to the words sad, scared and weak. More than half of the kids also chose to link the short figure to the words, dumb, yucky and no friends. "

LOL! this article is so dumb

Everything depends on the looks. So if you are ugly you do not stand a chance of getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
After college, I worked in different jobs before starting my post-bac. In all the jobs I've had in which I was hired by men, they later admitted when I was leaving the position, that I wasn't hired b/c I was qualified or intelligent, but sadly, b/c of my looks
(one place even admitted I was taken on a tour of the office during my interview so that all the guys working there could "check me out" - ugh!)
While this is an unfortunate bias in our society, I would think that med school adcoms and physicians would be above that bull****

u must be kidding

docs, esp male docs, we think we r all God's gift to women and deserve the good looking women to be among us. in fact, many docs i've talked to (male) think women shouldn't be in the medical prof b/c they have all these secondary concerns like children, and their only useful purpose is to provide some eye-candy

so of course looks matter.

Spiderman, I hope that was meant to be sarcastic.

lll505--That is pretty sad. I also hope adcom members are above this, but sadly as mentioned in my first post, some are not.

I rarely put any faith just in looks.

Originally posted by Harps
Jot...although i didn't watch 20/20 last night, but I just went to abcnews to check it out. It basically, as its major feature, talked about the importance of beauty when it comes media coverage. Ex: Anna Kournikova--terrible tennis player, but makes millions and more medica coverage than other more talented players.
Ex: Jason Seahorn---not as talented as other football players but because he's handsome, more media coverage.

bottom line: looks matter a great deal whether people want to believe it or not.

Jason Seahorn is actually pretty bad. He gets burnt in single coverage all the time. Which is pretty sad considering he plays in the NFC east. At one time he was a dominate athelete but after his injuries he is average at best. His looks are the only reason he gets any attention now.

Ugh tired of preseason +pissed+ Want real football now!! Go Raiders!!

"Breiter and his colleagues found that the same part of the brain lights up as when a hungry person sees food, or a gambler eyes cash, or a drug addict sees a fix. Essentially, beauty and addiction trigger the same areas in the brain."

Interesting...
:)

mmmmmmmmm. ortho docs. they're in a league of their own.

There's NO question that a better looking applicant has a slight advantage. I'll even say that a better looking applicant with fewer qualifications has as good a chance as someone with better qualifications.

Everyone is attracted to beauty, but I think when you get to a certain level (such as medical school interviewers) people should be above all that. Anyone at that level who is easily influenced by looks has no integrity whatsover.

Unfortunately, I know of a case where it did happen, at that level.

I can't imagine anyone is surprised that, considering every social interaction involves some judgement based on looks, appearance is a factor in the interview process....

However, I would theorize that there are generally only a few exceptions on either end of the spectrum where it could have a tangible impact on your admission.

Originally posted by CyclinE

:laugh: great stuff

"Heather's this weirdo combination of incredible love goddess and, like, freako banshee demon from beyond hell," said Georgia senior Brad Carver, who noted that he has been there, man, been there. "She made my freshman year a complete and total living nightmare. I made out with her once behind the stairs in the Physical Science Building. It was the single greatest moment of my life."

lol

This subject really isn't as debatable as some may think, or hope. Beauty and attractiveness are just as important, if not more important, as objective qualities and qualifications. This has been shown many times over and over and over, on 20/20, numerous times on Dateline NBC, on TLC, Discovery Channel, PBS, MTV, in various sociological and psychological research studies, and many other journals. Tested were scenarios such as the bar scene, job interviews, first dates, teaching, observing speeches, and photographs. The results were the same every time.

It would be folly to associate transcendental qualities with admission committee members, as if they are able to somehow shut off their subconscious and be totally free of bias. Often, your appearance is the determining factor. As someone already said, qualifications are subjective, so yes, this means that it now becomes much easier for interviewers (in all fields) to regard "less qualified" individuals with higher esteem. My personal theory is that after qualifications are deemed "good enough" for whatever the canditates are being chosen, appearance, personality, and communication (verbal and non-verbal) will become the predominant determining factors. Many will use such words as "sad" and "unfortunate," but I prefer to say that this really is arbitrary. Most have no control over this, even though when questioned they may claim otherwise (this has been shown many times also).

Originally posted by lll505

(one place even admitted I was taken on a tour of the office during my interview so that all the guys working there could "check me out" - ugh!)

wow.. thats hillarious! :laugh:

sorry for you.

"...unattractive women are less likely than others to participate in the labor force and are more likely to be married to men with unexpectedly low human capital. "

:laugh: that'll probably be me with the "unexpectedly low human capital".

What about teeth? You think that messed up teeth will hurt a person at an interview?

Blah blah blah...

This is all interesting, but I don't think it's something to worry about if you've got only average looks. After all, there are plenty of ugly doctors, and fat doctors, and doctors with weird teeth. I think that "beautiful people" tend to be more confident about their looks, which helps them to be liked by interviewers more. If there were two applicants with identical credentials but one was ugly and one was a knockout, the knockout would get the position/acceptance/etc, BUT what are the odds of that happening? I doubt that there are many applicants who have exactly the same experiences and stats, just like no two applicants have the same looks. I don't see what everyone's so nervous about.

Originally posted by Curci
Blah blah blah...

This is all interesting, but I don't think it's something to worry about if you've got only average looks. After all, there are plenty of ugly doctors, and fat doctors, and doctors with weird teeth. I think that "beautiful people" tend to be more confident about their looks, which helps them to be liked by interviewers more. If there were two applicants with identical credentials but one was ugly and one was a knockout, the knockout would get the position/acceptance/etc, BUT what are the odds of that happening? I doubt that there are many applicants who have exactly the same experiences and stats, just like no two applicants have the same looks. I don't see what everyone's so nervous about.

Hm, how many truly fat doctors have you really met? I work in a hospital, and everyone except the receptionists and the cafeteria workers are generally fairly healthy looking. I'd be willing to bet that social influences throughout childhood and secondary schools weed out and discourage overweight people with self-esteem and related problems before they even reach the point where they may apply to medical school....

Originally posted by SolidGold
What about teeth? You think that messed up teeth will hurt a person at an interview?

lol this gets funnier and funnier. i'm glad i have great teeth and am of good height. HAHAHA

Originally posted by Curci
Blah blah blah...

Apparently you haven't read or watched anything that we are discussing. Otherwise you wouldn't have just said what you did.

Actually, I HAVE read all two pages of nervous pre-meds worrying that they won't get into medical school because they're not pretty enough to be supermodels. I can see where looks may play a factor in some of the areas mentioned: bars, dates, and JOB interviews. I'll wholeheartedly agree that looks are important there. The topic is interesting, but I just question its relevance to the med school application process. I think med school is different because the school has its reputation to consider. They want people with good numbers that will make the school look good in rankings. They want people who will have the compassion to make good doctors, no matter what they look like. Everyone is human, sure, but I think MOST of the people conducting interviews are professional enough to put looks aside and consider the other, more important qualifications a person has before making a decision. Of course, there will be some instances where people won't be able to remain objective, but that's just how the world works. Life isn't fair sometimes, but I didn't need a 20/20 study to tell me that. I personally think that we'd be better served worrying about things over which we have some control.

And yes, I have met PLENTY of overweight doctors. Granted, most of them are pretty old, but I've seen overweight med students too, both in person and on that U Maryland med school show on Discovery Health.

Me 2. I've seen LOTS of really ugly doctors (I'm sorry to say it, but it's true). And I admit there's lots of really hot, cute doctors too. Kinda evens out. I guess the ugly ones were the ones with stats that the schools just couldn't refuse, and the good-looking ones were a combo. :p

Originally posted by kaos
I guess the ugly ones were the ones with stats that the schools just couldn't refuse, and the good-looking ones were a combo. :p

Yep, you've solved the mystery!

Originally posted by xaelia

I'd be willing to bet that social influences throughout childhood and secondary schools weed out and discourage overweight people with self-esteem and related problems before they even reach the point where they may apply to medical school....

omg, i hope you're joking :rolleyes:

I plan on opening a medical practice that will only treat attractive patients. I'll call my clinic "Darwin's Gate."

Originally posted by Diogenes
I plan on opening a medical practice that will only treat attractive patients. I'll call my clinic "Darwin's Gate."

LOL@ only the sexy ppl.

instead of a receptionist, he has a bouncer.:laugh:

Do you think that medical schools will look down upon a Asain man with an afro?

:laugh:

Well, he wouldn't get to be a patient at Darwin's Gate, that's for sure.

Of the few schools in which I was able to sneek a look at the interview evaluation form, a couple had 10 or so categories in which students were to be rated from 1-5. In both of these, the first or second one was physical appearance. I am not much help with some of the other items since I could only read what was on the very top.
Anway, best thing to do is to look and act professional. It goes a long way.

Well, I'm cute so I don't have to worry. ;)

Just look professional and confident...who cares if you're good-looking or not.

What to wear to an interview? Is a pair of Khaki's & a sports coat/tie enough?

Advise me please and tell any stories conconcerning attire at the interview!

THANKS,

datMATT

Originally posted by DATMATT

THANKS,

datMATT

I'd recommend against khakis as being too casual. Black or grey dress pants might be better.

Originally posted by Bonds756
Of the few schools in which I was able to sneek a look at the interview evaluation form, a couple had 10 or so categories in which students were to be rated from 1-5. In both of these, the first or second one was physical appearance. I am not much help with some of the other items since I could only read what was on the very top.
Anway, best thing to do is to look and act professional. It goes a long way.

wow really? cool! suspected as much

Originally posted by DATMATT

THANKS,

datMATT

Men really need to wear a suit. Well, the word "need" might be strong, but I don't think I ever saw any guy not wear a suit to any of the interviews I had last year.

The whole "physical appearance" thing that shows up on those interview evaluation forms is there to evaluate how you are dressed and groomed. Its more of a sign of whether or not you can be professional and whether or not you care about the interview. Plenty of ugly people get into medical school. Just check out the students at your local med school. I would bet half of them are ugly. :)