LOR advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coltuna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been shadowing a family practice DO at my local hospital for the past several months, but he's moving across the country next month.. I'm not applying until next year and was really counting on him for a LOR. He mentioned last month that he would write me one before he left; however, this was before I decided to wait until next year to apply. Would it be too much to ask of him to write me one and keep it in a safe place for when I apply next year? Or should I find another DO to shadow for the coming year? I'm working full time as a scribe in an ER during this coming year and there is a DO there; however, I wasn't sure if obtaining one from someone I work with would look as good as one from someone I set aside time to shadow and learn about the DO philosophy and methods from. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. I've been shadowing a family practice DO at my local hospital for the past several months, but he's moving across the country next month.. I'm not applying until next year and was really counting on him for a LOR. He mentioned last month that he would write me one before he left; however, this was before I decided to wait until next year to apply. Would it be too much to ask of him to write me one and keep it in a safe place for when I apply next year? Or should I find another DO to shadow for the coming year? I'm working full time as a scribe in an ER during this coming year and there is a DO there; however, I wasn't sure if obtaining one from someone I work with would look as good as one from someone I set aside time to shadow and learn about the DO philosophy and methods from. Thanks.

Ask for one now and save it in interfolio. You'll have to pay for an account but it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ask for one now and save it in interfolio. You'll have to pay for an account but it's worth it.

Would he be able to update it on that? Like if I gave him an updated list of continuing work and volunteer experience?

Would he be able to update it on that? Like if I gave him an updated list of continuing work and volunteer experience?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Like update it next year for things you did? No, it would be locked in as is once submitted. But, the letter is supposed to primarily be about his impression of you anyway. Give him a resume of what you've done to this point so he has some extra talking points. And make sure it's on official letter head and signed and have him submit it while you are fresh in his mind. A letter that's a year old will be accepted with your application for the next cycle. If you want LORs that talk about more current experiences ask someone else from some experience you have next year.