LOR Category Question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyc76

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I just had a quick question about the LOR relationship category that your reference selects. I may be overthinking it but basically my #1 LOR is from the Pharmacy Supervisor (who is a pharmacist) at the Hospital where I volunteer. She told me she submitted the LOR and happened to tell me that for the "relationship" category she put supervisor.

I didn't think anything of it but I looked on the PharmCAS school listings and was reviewing my #1 choice school's (Nova) requirements. I noticed that for LOR's they require 3 letters from either a sci prof or pharmacist. Under the section where it says "letters not accepted" one of the categories was "supervisor." On their direct website they dont mention that though.

So of course now the air got knocked out of me. Would they reject my LOR from a pharmacist just because she happens to be the Pharmacy supervisor where I volunteer? Or by "supervisor letter not accepted" they mean a supervisor from a regular non-health care related non-pharmacist job? Otherwise how else would I get a letter from a pharmacist because anywhere I volunteer everyone is my supervisor right?

I appreciate any opinions...i've been mini-freaking out about this. :eek:

Jessica1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a quick question about the LOR relationship category that your reference selects. I may be overthinking it but basically my #1 LOR is from the Pharmacy Supervisor (who is a pharmacist) at the Hospital where I volunteer. She told me she submitted the LOR and happened to tell me that for the "relationship" category she put supervisor.

I didn't think anything of it but I looked on the PharmCAS school listings and was reviewing my #1 choice school's (Nova) requirements. I noticed that for LOR's they require 3 letters from either a sci prof or pharmacist. Under the section where it says "letters not accepted" one of the categories was "supervisor." On their direct website they dont mention that though.

So of course now the air got knocked out of me. Would they reject my LOR from a pharmacist just because she happens to be the Pharmacy supervisor where I volunteer? Or by "supervisor letter not accepted" they mean a supervisor from a regular non-health care related non-pharmacist job? Otherwise how else would I get a letter from a pharmacist because anywhere I volunteer everyone is my supervisor right?

I appreciate any opinions...i've been mini-freaking out about this. :eek:

I would e-mail the school directly. Tell them that one of your LOR writers were unsure about the category and picked one without asking you first. I'm sure if you explain it, they will be fine with it and maybe they can just make a note on your application when it gets to them.

nyc76

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would e-mail the school directly. Tell them that one of your LOR writers were unsure about the category and picked one without asking you first. I'm sure if you explain it, they will be fine with it and maybe they can just make a note on your application when it gets to them.

Thanks Jessica I hope so. I mean I can't imagine they would be so strict with it that they wouldn't accept a Pharmacist LOR because I volunteered with them. I mean by definition everyone is a supervisor to me over there. Her title is also Pharmacy Supervisor. I hope I'm just overthinking it but wow I have been out of sorts since I found that out.

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do not worry this is a fairly common problem.

As the other posters advised, please contact the school directly and let them know that your pharmacy supervisor had written a letter of recommendation for you and listed it under "supervisor". You should have no problems whatsoever. Good luck.

nyc76

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do not worry this is a fairly common problem.

As the other posters advised, please contact the school directly and let them know that your pharmacy supervisor had written a letter of recommendation for you and listed it under "supervisor". You should have no problems whatsoever. Good luck.

Thanks Angora and Jessica I really appreciate that. You guys have put me at ease. Now I can get back to focusing on the PCAT.

Thanks guys. :thumbup: