LOR committee letters.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentlove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Do you think committee letters are worth the wait? All my professors have submitted their letters to the pre-health committee. However, the committee has not sent out the compiled letter. How long do you think I should wait before e-mailing the committee? I don't know if they understand the importance of getting things in early- although I understand they have many students to deal with.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Do you think committee letters are worth the wait? All my professors have submitted their letters to the pre-health committee. However, the committee has not sent out the compiled letter. How long do you think I should wait before e-mailing the committee? I don't know if they understand the importance of getting things in early- although I understand they have many students to deal with.

Thanks!
You should email the committee as soon as possible and explain to them the importance of getting the letter in early.

There are a lot of us in the same boat as you. I spoke to quite a few D-Schools today and the consensus was that if the committee isn't in by the end of July, you would be better getting individual letters. I am so fed up with my adviser writing the letter, there aren't appropriate words for it. Nothing but bull***t about the timing of his letter so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say go ahead and call them up and ask them why its taking so long. I harassed (in the most polite way!) my advisors everyday to make sure I would have everything in before second batch.

Edit* I should point out that I goto a small school with few dental applicants so perhaps that is why it worked...=/

Last edited:
You should email the committee as soon as possible and explain to them the importance of getting the letter in early.

Yeah, I'm sure they have never before heard its important to get in stuff early. Furthermore, I'm sure harassing them won't speed it up. To be honest I'd hate to be a prehealth advisor having to deal with all the stressed out annoying applicants.

Hello,

Thanks!

My committee is the exact same way. I had all of my stuff submitted to them by the first week of June. I had to badger them constantly to get things done. I finally got an email today saying they'd write/send my committee letter next week.

You just have to stay on top of them. But be polite, not rude.

I am waiting on my committee too, but honestly they have to write hundreds of letters and harassing them won't speed up the process. I had to turn in my LORs by March...

Obtaining the committee letter is indeed a long process. Must get voted by all the committee members to determine whether or not you'll get one. compile it after approval then get it resent out to the committee to double check it all and for approval - along with every student doing the same thing.

For those who are in the middle of the process, I think you should just wait it out. What are you going to tell your professors? that you dont want the committee letter and please tell them to write you an individual LOR? I don't think they will or even if they do, I think they might get annoyed by the request. Just wait..

Idk if there's a benefit of individual LOR vs committee but I believe it would - I would wait.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Last edited: