LOR concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak47

flossy flossy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I just met with the dentist who is writing me a LOR. I worked as an assistant for him last summer. He didn't want my transcript or my resume. He said he knew me well enough....should I be concerned? He's really busy so I don't want to keep nagging him about anything but how can I approach this? Or maybe he doesn't need my transcript or resume?? (Am I overanalyzing?!) Thanks.

In general, how do you remind people about getting the letters in without being too aggressive, etc? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just get the dentists email. Email him once every week and half or so to ask how the letter is coming. Don't be too nudgy though, that's annoying. But honestly, it doesn't take that long to push out a letter.
Transcripts are not necessary. Why would your grades matter to someone who is writing about dental stuff? Since when do grades in math and history matter when your drilling on someones teeth?
I did, however, write a brief biography of my life including any dental related things I did. I gave a copy of it to my professors as well. I think it made the letter more "personal".

Good idea airsimon. I think I'll do the same. By the way, Love BYU! I went there for about a year and a half and then moved back to Texas when I got married. I miss it though. (pissed that they lost to A&M in the freaking first round!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your overanalyzing. He's been through this process and knows what needs to be in your letter to make you look good. Dont' pester him either after he's committed to writing it. If it doesn't show up in your file by June, than remind him by phone (not email). The LORs won't hold up your application going out, and adcoms should be able to determine if you're worthy of an interview based of your GPA and DAT scores. If you're a good candidate, I doubt adcoms will sit around waiting for your dentist LOR to bring you in. At that point, the LOR is more of a formaility.

Maybe if you're a perfect candidate the LORs are a formality but for those of us that are borderline, they can make a huge difference. There are ways to remind someone without being pushy. You DO have to be careful though.

Send him a letter thanking him for taking the time to write you a letter. If he already wrote it, great. If he hasn't written it, the thank you letter can act as a reminder and will probably guilt him into finishing it. It's not pushy yet effective.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I appreciate it!