LOR Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASPEN'S NIGHTMARE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools require a letter from a biology teacher or more than 2 professor letters??

I have strong letters from gen chem and Ochem professors coming, but Ik Bio will be pretty weak. I just asked my bio professor cause I saw a post on here a while ago where the kid needed 1 chem and 1 Bio LOR.

Also, for anyone that’s been through the cycle before, does the application allow us to pick which LOR’s are sent to which schools? Or does it just send all of them to every school?

Members don't see this ad.

If a letter is submitted through AADSAS, it goes to all of the schools. You can easily look up each school’s letter requirements on their websites.

Reactions: 1 user
4 Letters of Recommendation can be uploaded to AADSAS. Once your 4 slots are filled, AADSAS does not allow you to replace or delete any. All of the letters of recommendation that are uploaded to the application will be sent to all the schools you apply to.

Which school are you looking at that requires a LoR from a biology professor?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't personally seen a school requiring a letter from a bio professor. However, I have noticed some school do require you to submit a dentist's letter.

I think a balanced approach would be
2 letters from sciences
1 from dentist
1 from someone who can talk about your social skills and leadership (super important as a dentist)

I do not recall the school, but I remember at least one school requesting specifically one letter from a biology professor and one letter from a chemistry professor. Just know that these letters do not have to be from professors that taught you Bio 1 and Bio 2. It could be from a microbiology professor or some other biology class.

My Bio 1 and 2 classes were shared between 8 professors, and all of them were very non-approachable. Microbiology was by a single professor with some lab time, they knew me more personally and were able to write a better letter than the others.

4 Letters of Recommendation can be uploaded to AADSAS. Once your 4 slots are filled, AADSAS does not allow you to replace or delete any. All of the letters of recommendation that are uploaded to the application will be sent to all the schools you apply to.

Which school are you looking at that requires a LoR from a biology professor?

I'm not looking at any, I just remember a post on here from a few months ago talking about it and was hoping some of you still remembered which school it was!

I'm not looking at any, I just remember a post on here from a few months ago talking about it and was hoping some of you still remembered which school it was!
Were you talking about University of Maryland and how they required one chemistry and one biology professor? They have changed their requirements so its just one science professor and one dentist now. Not sure if thats what you mean though

Were you talking about University of Maryland and how they required one chemistry and one biology professor? They have changed their requirements so its just one science professor and one dentist now. Not sure if thats what you mean though
I have a follow up question about this if anyone could answer. Earlier this year I researched the LOR requirements for different schools and for University of Maryland it said one bio and one chem professor. Now I notice they changed it to one science professor and one general dentist. I planned my letters based on the requirements on each school's website. I have a letter from a bio and a chem professor as that was what Maryland required. I also have a dentist letter for a different school's requirement that didn't specify a specialty, but it's not from a general dentist. Does anyone know if Maryland will let me use that letter or do I now have to get a separate one from a general dentist? Seems kind of unfair to change requirements on such a short notice.

I have a follow up question about this if anyone could answer. Earlier this year I researched the LOR requirements for different schools and for University of Maryland it said one bio and one chem professor. Now I notice they changed it to one science professor and one general dentist. I planned my letters based on the requirements on each school's website. I have a letter from a bio and a chem professor as that was what Maryland required. I also have a dentist letter for a different school's requirement that didn't specify a specialty, but it's not from a general dentist. Does anyone know if Maryland will let me use that letter or do I now have to get a separate one from a general dentist? Seems kind of unfair to change requirements on such a short notice.
Email the school and explain the situation thoroughly. They may make an exception, or they may not. All you can do is ask politely.