LOR dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmn5291

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been volunteering at a local hospital for almost 2 years and will continue for some time. Since I started, I have become lead. I am the middle man between the nurse's stations and the other volunteers. The nurses would contact me if they need assistance and I would distribute the tasks among the volunteers. There were some cases when I was the only volunteer for my shift and did all of the duties myself. In addition, I would also help train new volunteers to take on the lead, if I or the veteran volunteers are not available.

My supervisor is the only person who can verify my duties and my leadership. She, however, is notorious for refusing to write letters of recommendation for any volunteer. In addition, she will not write a evaluation for the volunteers who volunteered at the hospital for school credit. She can only write a letter about the volunteer duties. I can ask a nurse for a letter of recommendation; however, nurses can comment of how I have helped with the patients/nurses, and not of my leadership role. The nurses see lead volunteers and other volunteers as equals because we all perform the same tasks. The distribution of task is more of the "behind the scenes" aspect of the job.

Should I ask my supervisor write a letter of my duties as a lead volunteer with no commentary, ask a nurse to write a letter of recommendation with commentary, but not of my leadership role, or inquire for both?

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally not use a LOR from volunteering at all. It sounds like you have had a useful experience to write about in something like your personal statement, but I would focus on academic/research letters.

If you feel strongly that a letter from this position is an important addition to your application, it sounds like the supervisor is the right person to ask.

Thank you for the response.

I agree that the academic and research letters are more important. I would definitely talk about my volunteer hospital experience because that was why I switched career aspirations. Would it be weird though, if I didn't have a letter from volunteering, especially because I will spending 2+ years at the hospital?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response.

I agree that the academic and research letters are more important. I would definitely talk about my volunteer hospital experience because that was why I switched career aspirations. Would it be weird though, if I didn't have a letter from volunteering, especially because I will spending 2+ years at the hospital?

No. You can only have so many LORs, and most schools require 2 from science profs and 1 from nonscience or a physician. It's not weird at all.

As many here have stated, LOR's from non-academics or someone who does not have a medical title are not always the best choices for the Med school application process. You can certainly talk about your volunteering experience detailing the insight provided and lessons learned from the experience. However, for actual letters of rec, leave those to professor's, and medical professionals. -Admissions to Medicine

I think it could be helpful to get a letter from a nurse if she can comement positively on your interaction with patients. Not sure what exactly your duties entailed or if you even had patient contact, but if you did, it wouldn't hurt to ask the nurse that knows you the best. Some schools may read that letters, others may not. But it will only enhance your app.

You do not need a letter from anyone at the volunteer site. You can write on your application, in the experience section, what you did and why it was meaningful to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been volunteering at a local hospital for almost 2 years and will continue for some time. Since I started, I have become lead. I am the middle man between the nurse's stations and the other volunteers. The nurses would contact me if they need assistance and I would distribute the tasks among the volunteers. There were some cases when I was the only volunteer for my shift and did all of the duties myself. In addition, I would also help train new volunteers to take on the lead, if I or the veteran volunteers are not available.

My supervisor is the only person who can verify my duties and my leadership. She, however, is notorious for refusing to write letters of recommendation for any volunteer. In addition, she will not write a evaluation for the volunteers who volunteered at the hospital for school credit. She can only write a letter about the volunteer duties. I can ask a nurse for a letter of recommendation; however, nurses can comment of how I have helped with the patients/nurses, and not of my leadership role. The nurses see lead volunteers and other volunteers as equals because we all perform the same tasks. The distribution of task is more of the "behind the scenes" aspect of the job.

Should I ask my supervisor write a letter of my duties as a lead volunteer with no commentary, ask a nurse to write a letter of recommendation with commentary, but not of my leadership role, or inquire for both?
Ask both. I didn't talk to my volunteer supervisor at all, and had an EMT write it