LOR dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hdp325

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm supposed to be getting a LOR from a chem professor I had in the past. He's being unresponsive at the moment. Another professor that I TA'd for said he'd be willing to write one for me if the chem professor letter falls through. He knows me well but I didn't personally have him as a teacher. Are there any schools in specific that ya'll know of that require you to have actually had the letter writer as your professor? Any feedback would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

All of them? Michigan's definition of a science letter, which is pretty standard, is as follows.

A science letter of recommendation is one that is written by an instructor who has taught you in a science course (preferrably a basic science course) and given you a grade. A letter from a research faculty mentor is not considered a science letter unless you registered for a research course and he/she has given you a grade for such course. It is strongly encouraged that your science letters are from basic science faculty.

All of them? Michigan's definition of a science letter, which is pretty standard, is as follows.

A science letter of recommendation is one that is written by an instructor who has taught you in a science course (preferrably a basic science course) and given you a grade. A letter from a research faculty mentor is not considered a science letter unless you registered for a research course and he/she has given you a grade for such course. It is strongly encouraged that your science letters are from basic science faculty.
Do you know if most dental schools accept LOR from TA's for labs?

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is they will accept them but not as a science LOR, science LOR needs to come from an actual professor that gave you a letter grade for most schools

Perhaps someone else can comment on how that would work. People who go that route have the professor co-sign the letter. I could see it being beneficial if it added something to the letter (TA taught the lab, professor did the lecture). I don't know how a TA letter would look in replacement of a letter from a professor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile