1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

LOR dilemma!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by flycd05, Jun 18, 2008.

1. flycd05

5+ Year Member

ok so here's the situation:

my pre-health advisor only sends out a 1 page committee letter which does not include the 4 LOR's i gave to her. i feel like a committee letter cannot go into too much depth about my experiences as the 4 individual letters can. but i know some schools really prefer a committee letter over individual letters.

however, i want to send in all 4 lor's AND the committee letter b/c i feel that b/c of my low gpa, i'm counting in every single thing that can be used to benefit me...aka some of those letters are pretty good and i want schools to see them (1 dentist talking about my assisting experience of more than 300 hrs, 1 hospital volunteer for 500 hrs, and then 2 profs which includes an orgo prof who gave me an A for both semesters of orgo!)

so on this note, what should i do? should i just try begging my advisor to attach all 4 letters along with her committee letter haha?
    the committee letter counts as 3 lor's so the only thing i can do is submit the dentist lor in addition b/c i know some schools want a lor from a dentist. is there any other way to do this so that schools can see all 4 letters?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DGDDS

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You could try and get your pre-health office to send the 4 letters out to schools individually and not through AADSAS.

4. flycd05

5+ Year Member

well thats the thing i wanna avoid...some schools require it thru aadsas while others dont care, so i dont wanna deal with the mess/hassle of sending some thru aadsas and others not.

if my advisor absolutely refuses to attach the 4 letters to the committee letter, then i guess ill have to bypass aadsas for certain schools and then just have a committee and dentist lor for schools that require aadsas.

but question -- when my advisor uploads the committee letter electronically, there is a way for her to upload the 4 letters and label it all under committee package right so that the committee letter counts as 3 LOR's right?

5. DGDDS

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe if she scans it as a word document, it could just be a really big document so to AADSAS it would look like one letter, but it would really by the committee + and the 4 others.

Have you checked your school's websites? How many require that you go only through AADSAS? If its just 1 or 2, then you may consider dropping them (unless they are your state school).