1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

LOR dilemma!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by flycd05, Jun 18, 2008.

1. flycd05

5+ Year Member

ok so here's the situation:

my pre-health advisor only sends out a 1 page committee letter which does not include the 4 LOR's i gave to her. i feel like a committee letter cannot go into too much depth about my experiences as the 4 individual letters can. but i know some schools really prefer a committee letter over individual letters.

however, i want to send in all 4 lor's AND the committee letter b/c i feel that b/c of my low gpa, i'm counting in every single thing that can be used to benefit me...aka some of those letters are pretty good and i want schools to see them (1 dentist talking about my assisting experience of more than 300 hrs, 1 hospital volunteer for 500 hrs, and then 2 profs which includes an orgo prof who gave me an A for both semesters of orgo!)

so on this note, what should i do? should i just try begging my advisor to attach all 4 letters along with her committee letter haha?
    the committee letter counts as 3 lor's so the only thing i can do is submit the dentist lor in addition b/c i know some schools want a lor from a dentist. is there any other way to do this so that schools can see all 4 letters?

2. DGDDS

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You could try and get your pre-health office to send the 4 letters out to schools individually and not through AADSAS.

3. flycd05

5+ Year Member

well thats the thing i wanna avoid...some schools require it thru aadsas while others dont care, so i dont wanna deal with the mess/hassle of sending some thru aadsas and others not.

if my advisor absolutely refuses to attach the 4 letters to the committee letter, then i guess ill have to bypass aadsas for certain schools and then just have a committee and dentist lor for schools that require aadsas.

but question -- when my advisor uploads the committee letter electronically, there is a way for her to upload the 4 letters and label it all under committee package right so that the committee letter counts as 3 LOR's right?

4. DGDDS

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe if she scans it as a word document, it could just be a really big document so to AADSAS it would look like one letter, but it would really by the committee + and the 4 others.

Have you checked your school's websites? How many require that you go only through AADSAS? If its just 1 or 2, then you may consider dropping them (unless they are your state school).