May 14, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys, so how long are the letter of recommendations effective? I plan on applying this year, but if i dont get accepted can i use them again next year?

OP
T
May 14, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Lol i hope they are forever!

Also, will colleges take photocopies and letters from community college professors or does it have to be a university professor?

Thankyou all!

Last edited:

CedarZ4

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2008
Status
Dental Student
They are "forever" in that you can use letters of any age. However, it is recommended that letters should not be more than 2 years old. That is to say, if you apply this year, you can probably still use them for next year. However, if you apply a third time, I would get new letters.

OP
T
May 14, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Oh ok thanks CedarZ4.
Does anyone know whether schools will accept letters from community college professors or do they have to be from university professors?

Feb 21, 2011
Status
Oh ok thanks CedarZ4.
Does anyone know whether schools will accept letters from community college professors or do they have to be from university professors?
Shouldn't matter.

Apr 26, 2012
Virginia
Status
Oh ok thanks CedarZ4.
It shouldn't matter, but it might. A professor is a professor. Just like how adcom look down on cc courses to prepare you for D-school, adcom might look down on cc letters just because they're not uni level. Is your professor a phD? Is your professor published?

dentwise

5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2011
Status
Dental Student

Some of the most effective LOR's are from people that got to know you themost. For example, a letter from a community college professor who got to knowyou very well during a two semesters small size class, a lab and office hourswill be more powerful than a university professor who only saw you a few timesin his lecture of 300 students.
Also, if you feel that the letter may bestrong, but it's a few years old, try contacting that person and ask them toprovide you with a more recent, maybe an updated letter. LOR's are consideredimportant by many dental schools during the admissions process. Try to shine inthis portion of the application, as well as others :)
Finally, I heard that ifLOR's are not opened, i.e. sealed in an envelope by the evaluator, they maypotentially carry move value, because they're written more freely without aconcern for being seen by the applicant.
If your school offers an option to put together a committee letter onyour behalf, this option is also viewed well by the admissions committee. Good luck.

Kobebucsfan

7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
wait r u guys serious ?

I applied in June 2011 and I didn't get accepted anywhere so I am applying this june again. So my LORs from last year can be used again for my 2nd cycle ?

how does that work ? next month, will my LORs from last year still be there to upoad on AADSAS ?