LOR for residency from productive undergrad research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Biochemist3412

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I am just curious if these LORs will or will not be taken well when applying for a competitive surgical residency, ie ortho/neuro/plastics/etc.

1. I did research for 2-3 years in a translational lab, and contributed to over 25 papers while in the lab, many of which are first authored. These included basic science animal studies, clinical database studies, meta anlayses and literature reviews. I got along well with the PI, who wrote me a rec for applying to med school, and the PI is pretty well known in their specialty.

Would a recommendation letter from this PI when applying to competitive residencies (assuming the same specialty) be seen as outdated or irrelevant? Since the research was carried out prior to medical school?

2. In my gap year before medical school I also did an intensive research fellowship in another medical cenyer and published a few papers. The PI is also very well known. Same question as above - will a LOR from this PI be seen as outdated or irrelevant?

Also, is there ussually a maximum # of PI LORs you can have when applying to competitive surgical residencies?
 
Last edited:
I think, as with most things, the answer is "it depends".

If they are a respected name in whatever field you are applying to, then it's fair game.

As you've noted, the farther removed from the field you are applying to (and the farther you go back in time), the less meaning it holds.

*if* a random program you apply to happens to put a higher emphasis on research, those letters may still help you. A community based ortho program may put no significant value on the LORs.

I don't think there is a maximum number of PI letters when applying for residency (beyond the maximum of 3-4 total letters), but you would be doing yourself a massive disservice if your letters weren't mostly clinical letters from people in the field you are applying to. You're applying to a clinical job, not a phd research program.