TheUntold

5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone,
How important is it to have a LOR from a DO? Some schools say on their websites "strongly advised but not necessary."
Also, what are my chances with a 3.8 and 25 mcat? (philosophy major, one summer of research, couple years volunteering in the ER).

Thanks!

May 22, 2009
Status
I originally didn't have one either but after seeing the word strongly and wanting every edge possible I got one. I would get one but that's just me.

scaredoflife

Eaaagglleee
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I would recommend that you get one. It helps very much, they even bring up the LOR in interviews sometimes. Also many D.O. schools require a letter so if you plan on going to those I would see to it that you get one. Also even if they don't require it, this helps to boost your chances in getting into the school. Having a letter where a doctor notices that you will make a good doctor will help the Adcoms realize you will be a good fit at their school.

Good luck!

TheUntold

5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I would recommend that you get one. It helps very much, they even bring up the LOR in interviews sometimes. Also many D.O. schools require a letter so if you plan on going to those I would see to it that you get one. Also even if they don't require it, this helps to boost your chances in getting into the school. Having a letter where a doctor notices that you will make a good doctor will help the Adcoms realize you will be a good fit at their school.

Good luck!
Thanks, will do. I guess I'll just find one in the phone book and give 'em a ring!

Sep 4, 2009
San Angelo, TX
Status
Attending Physician
I remember using a link through the AOA website to find doctors who were willing to let students shadow them in my state. I don't have the link right now I will try to find it for you and post later. It sort of streamlines the process as they seem to know you ultimately want a letter from them. I didn't even ask the doc I shadowed, he asked me if I wanted him to write a letter.

tbcnm

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks, will do. I guess I'll just find one in the phone book and give 'em a ring!

When looking blindly, a couple of ideas that might help.

Send a letter breifly stating who you are and why you would like to shadow the doctor. Conclude your letter with the date you will be calling to set it up. One week later then call and ask to speak to the office manager. It is the office manager who has the majority of the say. That person will talk to the physician. If you give them advance notice in writing they can discuss it before you call. Many times when I worked in the office people who wanted to shadow would just call and leave messages for the doctor to call back. He wasn't going to do that.

tbcnm

TheUntold

5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Thanks everyone. Great tips.
I used that website, so now I'm just waiting for a response. :)