LOR from a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

goldstar97

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am having trouble finding a physician to write me a strong LOR. I apply in June. Any advice?
 
I am having trouble finding a physician to write me a strong LOR. I apply in June. Any advice?

Most schools don't require a physician LOR. In fact several adcoms on here discourage getting them, unless the school explicitly requires one.

Edit* check the requirements for each of your schools, D.O. schools often want letters from physicians, often other D.O.s
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They uniformly have only nice things to say. They're mostly fluff, like "GhostDoctor shadowed me over a week and asked very good questions. I think s/he'll make a fine doctor.

However, the moderator was referring to MD schools. Most DO schools require a LOR form a clinician; some require that it be from a DO.

OP, what about your family doctor?

Why would an adcom discourage a LOR from a physician?
 
They uniformly have only nice things to say. They're mostly fluff, like "GhostDoctor shadowed me over a week and asked very good questions. I think s/he'll make a fine doctor.

However, the moderator was referring to MD schools. Most DO schools require a LOR form a clinician; some require that it be from a DO.

OP, what about your family doctor?
Wouldn't a LOR from a teacher be the same thing? They will only say nice things also.
 
They uniformly have only nice things to say. They're mostly fluff, like "GhostDoctor shadowed me over a week and asked very good questions. I think s/he'll make a fine doctor.

However, the moderator was referring to MD schools. Most DO schools require a LOR form a clinician; some require that it be from a DO.

OP, what about your family doctor?

I know that a bad LOR can tank an application, but does/has a wonderful one ever saved someone on the borderline case?