LOR from an aloof professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phunky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a chem/ochem professor that I've taken 5 total classes with. I've received 2 As, 2A+s, and 1 B in these classes. The first two classes I had with him, I didn't go to, because it was just review of AP chemistry. The most recent 3 (ochem 1+2 and lab), I have sat in the front every class, attended office hours most weeks, participate far more than anyone else, and set the curve on about half the tests I've taken (A+, A+, A estimated grades). Despite all this, he doesn't seem to like me all that much. He is a former soldier, so he has a "hard" personality, and I can't really see him writing an enthusiastic LOR (or being enthusiastic about anything really). He's also big on research and doesn't seem too fond of premedical students (he occasionally makes jokes about premeds). I've never done so well in a class as I have in Organic Chemistry, and my last course with him is currently coming to a close, so I'll have to ask for a rec in the next couple weeks.

Would this be a good teacher to ask for a LOR despite his aloofness?

Members don't see this ad.

Why exactly do you think he would make a good letter writer?

He can attest to many of my best qualities better than almost any professor I've had. Intelligence, curiosity, enthusiasm for learning. I'm just worried his personality would prevent him from writing an "excellent" letter, which is what most people on here seem to think you need. I'm a little clueless about this whole situation, which is why I'm asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really would suggest getting an LOR from a different professor. If this guy is not enthusiastic about helping students and doesn't like you, then he will not write you the LOR that you need to get into medical school. It won't even matter how good you have been in class. I'm saying this based on what I've seen from other people's experiences applying to med school with LORs from nonchalant profs who didn't care about premeds. Believe me, it doesn't go well.

Do you have other professors who could write you LORs?

Have you connected with him personally beyond classroom material? Maybe chatted about your future as a physician or his research or research in organic chemistry in general? Many professors like research more than teaching and view most undergrads as annoying little buggers that don't take the time to properly learn the one subject in life they have poured their heart into. Just because he seems aloof and uninterested in the general populace doesn't mean he won't take the time to help out a few shining stars. If he interacts aloof and uninterested while interacting with you, he might not be the best LOR.

If all you've done is aced tests and participated a lot, he may be able to speak for your academic ability and work ethic (which your GPA and MCAT will show) but he wouldn't be that great in highlighting your character and drive. He would most likely be objective about your grades rather than being subjective about you as a student.

Sometimes it is tough to call. I'd say being a solider, he could possibly write one of your best letters if he got to know you properly. At the same time, it could be a crapshoot if all you did was get an A.

I was buddies w/ the 3 profs I had write my LoR. Two were research mentors, and the third was the premed adviser, who also taught A&P. I knew all 3 would write me STRONG LoR, because they knew me as more than just some student who did well on their exams.

I was buddies w/ the 3 profs I had write my LoR. Two were research mentors, and the third was the premed adviser, who also taught A&P. I knew all 3 would write me STRONG LoR, because they knew me as more than just some student who did well on their exams.

But it appears only one of those professors would fall under the science/non-science professor category. Did you have two others that actually taught you in class?

But it appears only one of those professors would fall under the science/non-science professor category. Did you have two others that actually taught you in class?

One mentor was the cell/molecular biology professor; the other was my organic chemistry professor. I was forced to switch mentors when the cell bio prof told me (at the last minute) she wouldn't be available for summer research my final year. It was essentially a full-time summer job, and I did not want to pass up the opportunity for such a large amount of research experience.

My school also had a Health Professions committee that put the 3 letters together and wrote their own recommendation.

Last edited:
Seems like you all have the same reservations I did. My concern is that I only have 2 more science class left (biochemistry and physics), and my physics teacher specifically said he will not write letters of recommendation at the beginning of the class. Do math professors count as science? I mostly just have math (my major) classes left before I graduate this year.