LOR from foreign professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowsnice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is this professor for whom I TA for that I would like to ask for a LOR, but I am not too sure if his limitations with the English language would be harmful to my application. He of course knows me well enough, but I am hesitant to ask. In emails, he often makes grammatical errors and places commas in odd places. However, this might be because it's a casual email and thus wouldn't proofread it as much as a LOR (speculating though). Should I ask him or replace him with a professor who doesn't know me as well, but would set up a meeting for us to speak?

Members don't see this ad.

Was this a professor at a foreign college or simply a foreign professor whom you have worked with here? Do you need this to be one of your required letters?

It was a professor here in the U.S. I mean his English is good enough that when he speaks/writes, I can understand what he is trying to get across, but he often leaves out some words and isn't 100% grammatically correct. He doesn't need to write my LOR per say, but I had him previously for a science course and I have TAd with him for that course.