LOR from Humanities professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc12345

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a finishing PhD Student in Neuroscience applying for the Medical School, and it has been some years since my undregraduate. I am thinking of whom to ask for the letters of recommendation, and unfortunately, I have nobody (professor, mentor, boss) from Humanities to ask for a letter from, while I have many people from the Science side. I heard medical schools want to see 1 letter from Humanities professor and the rest from science. Is this true, or can I have all my letters from the people from science, given my background?

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same problem applying as a grad student. What I did was substitute a letter from my manager at Kaplan for the non-science letter. In my experience, the schools were all willing to permit substitutions for non-trads like us who have not taken humanities courses in many years. I would advise you to contact every school where you plan to apply and explain this problem just like you did here. Give them some suggestions about who you can ask to write a substitute letter for you (preferably someone you know in a non-science context), and let them tell you what they want you to do. :luck: with your apps. :)

Is English Composition considered as Humanities?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a science PhD and my letters were all from science faculty, former supervisors (also scientists), and doctors. I never ran into the problem of needing a letter from a Humanities faculty member, although I could have gotten letters from people at non-profits I'd worked with.