LOR from non-teachers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squidaronimous J

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about letters of recommendation. I am a non-traditional student going back for some post-bacc classes to fill out my science pre-med requirements.

Most of the classes I available to me are rather large (in the hundreds), not a lot of opportunity to network, etc.

However, I also work full-time at a scientific research firm (approx 6,000 PhDs on staff). I've got a very strong rapport with a number of PhDs in my division (stats/genetics). I also work on a number of national and international research projects (we contract with almost every government agency and many state govts).

Being that I am an older, non-trad student do you think that my work experience would count as 'research experience' and that LOR from individuals that I work with (and maybe one from a doc I follow) would suffice as opposed to LORs from professors?

Any thoughts,
Squid J

Members don't see this ad.

Also, what exactly qualifies as a "non-science" LOR? Is that exclusively humanities profs, or could that be people from work, volunteering, etc.?

I had 2 letters from non-teachers

1 volunteering
1 boss

I think it's fine to have some of them mixed in. The reason they want teachers is to have someone speak out about your ability to handle classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think med schools will want to see a letter from an employer if you have been out of school for a while and might think something is wrong if you don't get one. Whether or not you can use it instead of a letter from a prof is a different story. Most (if not all) specifically ask for some from profs, and even some schools that ask for non-science recommendations mean profs from non-science classes (though not all -- for many an employer rec will suffice). To be on the safe side, I'd make sure to get a few letters from profs as well as the letter from the employer. Even if the profs don't know you too well, hopefully they will be able to say what a great student you are.

Everyone on this board is always saying you should get a letter from a prof you know personally, but I seriously doubt everyone here gets letters from profs they know well. If you go to a school with large class sizes, sometimes I think it is not necessarily a good thing if the prof knows you. Half the time I think people make pests of themselves just to be known to profs and to get a letter. If I were a prof I'd probably write a better letter for someone who was quiet and did well in my class without pestering me all the time.

Yes, but get one from a superior- cos Bob in the next cubicle probably won't have much pull in the LOR department :) --Trek

definitely have your boss submit a LOR. my LORs from my two previous supervisors' carried more weight than the one I received from my post bacc instructors. good luck to you.
Droopy