LOR from Optometrist

Started by achirum
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

achirum

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just curious as to how long you all shadowed an optometrist before asking for a letter of recommendation.

Thanks!
 
0 hours. He is my OD (and also my employer).

Do you have an optometrist you regularly attend for eye exams? If you do, asking him or her would be the best option. If you don't, I would suggest start shadowing for a little bit, get your name into a couple offices (maybe even land a job as an optometric assistant) and then ask when you are ready to apply.
 
I know this isn't the answer you prob want to hear, but I interned at an eye clinic for about 270 hours before asking for a letter. But, the only requirement from the optometrist was that you had been there for 3 months.

My optometrist at home said he would write me one as well, but I haven't shadowed him at all so I'm not going to get one from him.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well thank you all for the replies.

I currently am set up to shadow an optometrist that has given me primary eye care in the past. She told me I could go in whenever I wanted and however long I wanted. So, I know I could very well shadow her from now until the end of September and then ask for a letter for this years applications, but at the same time, I don't want her to get annoyed with me.
 
I have shadowed 5 optometrist, but none longer than 3 days. I ended up getting a letter from a guy that graduated in 2004 and I had only observed him for 4 hours. He volunteered to write a letter and he seemed like he would do a good job. I think it just depends on the vibe you get from the optometrist. I don't think it's hard to get a "good" letter of rec, but it might be hard to get an outstanding letter of rec. Hope this helps!
 
I have shadowed 5 optometrist, but none longer than 3 days. I ended up getting a letter from a guy that graduated in 2004 and I had only observed him for 4 hours. He volunteered to write a letter and he seemed like he would do a good job. I think it just depends on the vibe you get from the optometrist. I don't think it's hard to get a "good" letter of rec, but it might be hard to get an outstanding letter of rec. Hope this helps!

Yeah helps out a lot actually!