LOR from prof that gave me a B?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastboyslim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a 3.85 and do well in a lot of my classes, but I go to a big public research university and it's not easy to get to know my profs. I have one biochem prof who knows me well, but I got a B in his class. If I ask him for a letter, I'd show him my transcript so he knows that I normally do much better in my classes. Is it worth asking him for a letter?

Members don't see this ad.

You dont need an a+ to get a lor from a prof. In fact letters that just restate your grade and say you are smart in the class are utterly useless and trash. There are many non-cognitive things that your teacher can point out about you. Much of what they are looking for in a letter is getting to know you personally and gaining insight into what type of person you are. They can see your GPA and MCAT and know whether or not you are "smart." Point is if the prof. knows you well then by all means he can write a good letter. If you are worried ask him "Even though I got a B do you feel you can still write me a strong letter?" Then you will have your answer. The key isnt what grade you got in the class, its how well the prof knows you and how willing he is to write something great about you w/o sounding like hes just giving blind praise and not saying anything insightful.

When asking for letters, you should ask if the prof feels he can write you a supportive/strong LOR. In a better world, he would openly decline to write it if he couldn't w/out prompting.

I had a science LOR from a professor in whose class I received a B- and one from whom I earned a B+. When I requested these LOR's, the writers told me what the shortcomings of my letter would be...but they typically know how to spin the wording anyhow...i.e. "this student only has an average grade, but this course covers unsually rigorous material very rapidly and is curved among extremely competitive, motivated pre-medical students. I feel that this performance reflects more than adequate potential to succeed among these peers in medical school" and hopefully something more personal. So, it might not all be sunshine and moonbeams, but it's not necessarily too bad...especially if the alternative is to get one from an 'A' prof who can't actually say anything about you as a person.