LOR from which PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbunny56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing research at my top choice MD school and will be asking for an LOR within the next few weeks...
I emailed the chair of the specific department I was interested in working in for a position and he forwarded my information to the manager of research in the department and I got a position, however I am working more closely on a project with another PI in the department (developing a manuscript), so my question is who should I ask for the LOR?

I think the department chair's LOR will have more weight but I feel a little awkward if I don't ask the LOR from the PI whom I working with more personally. Another option would be asking the PI of my current project to write it and then maybe asking for a cover letter from the dept. chair, what do you guys think?

thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

You should ask for the letter from the PI who can speak to your skills and abilities with the most authority and specificity. It sounds like that would be the PI you are preparing the manuscript with. Another option to keep in mind is you can get them to co-sign it.

The PI who knows you best and has seen your work ethic. Period.

Ask for the LOR from the PI that you've worked most closely with and who knows you the best. A LOR from a well known person doesn't have as much impact if he/she can't attest to your abilities and doesn't write a strong LOR for you.