LOR Gifts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kstoothfairy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking of sending a gift card (max $10) along with thank you notes for the people that have written my LOR's. Appropriate or no?

Background: one is my PI for my research, one is a dentist I worked for for over 3 years, and the third is the director of my masters program (and the one I'm least familiar with).
 
I would advise you NOT to give any gifts of any kind. It puts the recommender in an awkward position in terms of receiving compensation for a letter. A simple thank you will suffice.
 
I would advise you NOT to give any gifts of any kind. It puts the recommender in an awkward position in terms of receiving compensation for a letter. A simple thank you will suffice.

Although simple thank you will suffice, my professors were extremely thankful for receiving a gift.

I just gave them tea bags that I had in gift wraps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I made a donation to charity in their name along with a thank you card...it shows your appreciation without risking them thinking they're getting "compensated" (which I doubt they would but whatever)
 
I think the gift just needs some genuine appreciation and personal touch to it so that the gift says, "I really appreciate you writing me a letter" vs "Here's compensation for the letter you wrote me." It also shouldn't be anything over $15-20.

I knew someone who always talked about their wines with their dentist, so he got the dentist one of his favorite, reasonably priced wines. Other people give sets of chocolates, a mug from the school they got into, etc.

And attaching a thank you card is a must, I'd say.

But yeah, I don't think you should send gifts just yet haha. It's a bit too early for that. Christmas sounds good.