LOR Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elyehallow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm really having trouble getting LORs. I know I will get a strong letter from my dentist since I've known her for many years. Also, I'm getting a LOR from my PI for my summer project right now, which I hope will turn out alright.

However I've always been shy and don't really know my profs other than my PIs. I'm only on decent terms with my PI from my research position from last summer. I was working for him during the school year as a part-time assistant but my chronic skin condition suddenly flared up and got quite bad which made me miss a lot of work. In the end, we reached a conclusion that the lab had too many workers anyway so I left amicably. I asked him if he could write me a strong LOR and he said alright but I'm still worried that it will be mediocore or worse. I'm pretty sure my lack of attendance, which I regret alot, had put me in an unfavourable light. Should I still get a letter from him or just find a random prof that I took a course with?

I think I'm worrying over nothing again, but I'm pretty neurotic so I'm in need of some advice or perspective into my situation. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

You need 3 correct?

Your school does not have a professional school rec committee? I thought one had to be from them. I could be wrong though...

Anyway,

You know you have one good one (your dentist). :thumbup:

Another from your PI, which you are unsure of. You asked him to give you a "strong" rec? I would go back and have a short meeting with him and just be honest about your situation. I'm sure you'll get a better feel for what kind of letter he is going to give you.

As for #3, just find a prof or another dentist that you got along with. Again be honest about your situation. Try and find someone who knows you. Your strong points, personality, etc.

I'm sure you can do it. Good Luck!:luck:

^not all schools have pre-health committees. I know mine doesn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
^not all schools have pre-health committees. I know mine doesn't.

Thanks for your input.

I guess what I meant was that if your school does have a pre-health com, you need a letter from them.

Anyway OP,

Did any of this advice help? Anything else you have questions about?

Thanks for your input Drill Doc.

I'm Canadian and it seems like most Canadian universities don't have a pre-health committee. I was wondering how much weight is put onto the LORs?

Can good DAT scores and GPA make up for two soso LORs? I have fairly GPA and DAT scores (Posted them on sdn before) but I'm not sure how strong the science LORs will be. I think I will have to stick to my PIs since I really don't know any other profs.