Lor Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashilb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up guys I have a quick question. When should I ask for my professors and dvm to write me a LOR. I will be applying to vet school on the next cycle. Thanks guys

Sent from my SPH-M580 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I gave mine 2 months, but one of them barely made it. :scared: It is never too soon to let them know you would like to use them, and then a few months before start the process with them.

I agree. It's never too late to at least ask them (tell them which date the VMCAS will be available. get their email for this ready). Two of mine waited until the last minute as well... I even lied and told them the deadline was a few days earlier than it really was. So TECHNICALLY they were "late" as for what I told them and still barely made the cut off by like 12 hours for the real deadline. I'm so glad I did that... hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. It's never too late to at least ask them (tell them which date the VMCAS will be available. get their email for this ready). Two of mine waited until the last minute as well... I even lied and told them the deadline was a few days earlier than it really was. So TECHNICALLY they were "late" as for what I told them and still barely made the cut off by like 12 hours for the real deadline. I'm so glad I did that... hahaha

haha! I did the SAME THING for one of mine. I worked with him way too long to think he could actually do something on time :laugh:

haha! I did the SAME THING for one of mine. I worked with him way too long to think he could actually do something on time :laugh:

Ditto. I know exactly how you felt, hahaha.

Lol! I bet most vets are savvy enough to get on the site, look at the real due date and procrastinate if they want! I think it was no coincidence your was turned in right before the real due date!

On a side note, I dont think I'd lie to a LOR writer, especially when the truth can be so easily found!!

I will be asking my writer to please turn them in by August because I hope that will get me in one of the earlier mailings of applications out to the schools (with everything being complete early). I don't know if it will actually help, but it won't be a lie!

Lol! I bet most vets are savvy enough to get on the site, look at the real due date and procrastinate if they want! I think it was no coincidence your was turned in right before the real due date!

On a side note, I dont think I'd lie to a LOR writer, especially when the truth can be so easily found!!

I will be asking my writer to please turn them in by August because I hope that will get me in one of the earlier mailings of applications out to the schools (with everything being complete early). I don't know if it will actually help, but it won't be a lie!

I know, they can look it up and I think it is even emailed to them, but my writer knows that I am all too familiar with him, and laughed when I told him I lied to him :laugh:. Obviously that is on a relationship, relationship basis though. The due dates are widely known and pounded into their heads for a few months. But you can always ask them to be done by a certain time. (You can submit your application without all of your eLors being completed btw!)

Oh my super late people were not vets, but yeah, just email writers like every one or two weeks and be annoying. Phew, glad that time is over for me now.

Phew, glad tha time is over for me now.

I agree, I think it was the most stressful part of my application... the part you had to depend on someone else to do! :eek:

I agree, I think it was the most stressful part of my application... the part you had to depend on someone else to do! :eek:

Agree. Hahaha, type A right here!

Yeah, I feel like I'm just going to ask for everyone to have their letters done by the beginning of September. Just explain that I don't want to be crying the week before applications are due more than I already will be... I know I'm going to struggle getting a couple of my LOR writers to get their's in on time. I'm dreading it already.

Tell them you will be asking them NOW! This way they will be prepared.

Also see if there is anything they want from you before they have to write. Some like to see a C.V. or transcript or even your PS to be sure they write a targetted PS.

You might encourage them to do it now before things get busy in application season, then once applications are open, they just copy and paste!

That will work for some people. Especially profs, would prefer to do it during the summer when things are calmer.

One of my writers asked for my personal statement and resume, so be prepared for that like SOV said.

I sent all my writers my statement, my transcript, the list of schools I applied to, and the characteristics those schools listed on their websites as having looked for.

Also, another suggestion, if you're planning on taking a year or two off after undergrad, but will still want letter(s) from undergrad prof(s), ask them as soon as possible. In a year or two, their memory of you may not be as fresh, but, by asking now (or as soon after graduation as you know you will/may want a letter from them), you're at least giving them a chance to put together some notes or whatnot and opening a post-graduation line of communication with them.

I knew before VMCAS opened who two of my eLOR writers would be, and I asked them if they'd be willing to write one for me in June. I've worked with both of them for years, but I sent them my resume in case they wanted it (although neither asked for it).

The third eLORer I didn't choose until August or so.

I told all three of mine that I was planning on submitting my VMCAS a week early so I set that as their deadline; all three of them met it just fine. =) (SN: definitely submitted my VMCAS the day before it was due, ahaha...)