LOR How to ask for one...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixpence

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my problem.

I'm applying to several research programs for my gap year and shortly after that to medical schools (considering md/phd). So my question is, will my letter writers be pissed if I ask them to write two separate ones, one for research capability, the other for med school? Is there any easier way to go about this so the letter writers don't have to spend that much time on them?

Also, my summer research program is in its last week. Should I ask for a letter now to use in 3-4 months to 10 months? If so, how do I save it? Or, should I just wait until I actually need them?

Finally, is getting a letter cosigned by the PI not as good as one written only by the PI?

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my problem.

I'm applying to several research programs for my gap year and shortly after that to medical schools (considering md/phd). So my question is, will my letter writers be pissed if I ask them to write two separate ones, one for research capability, the other for med school? Is there any easier way to go about this so the letter writers don't have to spend that much time on them?

Also, my summer research program is in its last week. Should I ask for a letter now to use in 3-4 months to 10 months? If so, how do I save it? Or, should I just wait until I actually need them?

Finally, is getting a letter cosigned by the PI not as good as one written only by the PI?

THANKS!

The letter writers could write one that would work for both. Basically, a letter would include a description of your career plans and your qualifications. I know an MD/PhD who basically wrote his own letter of recommendation and handed the draft to the "letter writer" for his signature. It worked.

So if I decide not to apply md/phd then how would a letter stating that I want to be an md help me get a research job?
Also, should I ask for these letters now or later?