LOR: How to ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frickonastick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start asking people for LORs for the upcoming application cycle. I'm planning on meeting in person with each of the people I'm asking, but I'm wondering how I should compose the intial email. Should I just set up a time to go in to see them or should I specifically mention I would like to ask them for a LOR?

I am leaning toward at least mentioning the LOR (just so they are prepared, and in the worst case senario can let me down over email instead of to my face), but am unsure about how to do this. Also, I'm betting it's just my irrational pre-med fears that my question would be turned down, since I believe this professor (the one I'm most worried about) holds me in high regards, but still, I haven't seen him for a few months.

Members don't see this ad.

Address the message to them. Introduce yourself. Remind them that you took their class. Remind them that you're applying to medical school. Ask the question (i.e., you are wondering if they would be willing to write you a supportive letter of recommendation.) Offer up your personal statement, transcript, and CV, along with anything else they think would be helpful. Offer to come in and talk with him/her about it. Thank them for their time. Press the send button.

Members don't see this ad :)
at my undergrad they had a sweet program called dine with a professor which basically was an easy way to bribe a prof/get a free lunch at the same time... any student at any time can request a DWAP (dine with a prof) card good for up 10$ per person (1 prof / 1 student min, 3 student max) at any eatery on campus... so when it came time for me to ask for recs it was like, hey, i found this program, can i take you out to lunch and we can talk about me, and then you can right me a LOR?

(something like that anyhow, certainly a bit more formal)

so find out if your school has anything like this (or if someone reading this goes to UCSD, you have no reason not to do this - you can eat a the faculty club for petes sake), if it does, it worked pretty well for me :D

This is what i did, although everyone has their own way of doing things...

I sent an initial email setting up a meeting with them (it seemed like most profs/PIs/whomevers new what was up when you ask to set up a meeting, one prof actually asked "is this in regards to an intership or letter of recommendation" to my email).

I asked them in the meetings and tried to not be too presumptuous. Usually I had a packet with me, it included a thank you/instruction letter (I had a committee system, so there were specifics), an addressed stamped envelope for them to use, relevant coursework, a CV, personal statement (or anything that might help). I think the extras helped them them get a better picture of who i was outside of class/ec's etc.

And afterwards I sent a thank you card....

Hope that helps... it's a slightly awkward process if you're shy like me :)