LOR...interesting situation w/ professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phonyreal98

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This semester in my chemistry class...I had a very interesting experience. At the beginning of the semester, my friend and I were called out for writing notes to each other during lecture (I was being immature yeah I know). We promptly both apologized to the professor for our rude behavior. Then, on the first test, I did not do as well as I hoped and made a C. Now, normally, due to the situation already described I would not even THINK about asking this professor for a recommendation. However, after this first exam I made an A on every assignment and exam, and ended up making an A in the class. After the 2nd of 3 midterm exams, my professor e-mailed me to congratulate me on my progress from the first to second exams, and after the course was over, my professor e-mailed me again to thank me for my hard work in his class and to congratulate me on making an A. He also sent my parents a handwritten note informing them of my performance and telling them that he thought that I had a bright future ahead of me, et cetera (I thought this was very nice). My questions: In spite of the incident in the beginning of the semester, do you guys think I would be alright if I asked my professor for a LOR? If so, should I ask him now (I'm a rising sophomore in college) or closer to the application cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

This semester in my chemistry class...I had a very interesting experience. At the beginning of the semester, my friend and I were called out for writing notes to each other during lecture (I was being immature yeah I know). We promptly both apologized to the professor for our rude behavior. Then, on the first test, I did not do as well as I hoped and made a C. Now, normally, due to the situation already described I would not even THINK about asking this professor for a recommendation. However, after this first exam I made an A on every assignment and exam, and ended up making an A in the class. After the 2nd of 3 midterm exams, my professor e-mailed me to congratulate me on my progress from the first to second exams, and after the course was over, my professor e-mailed me again to thank me for my hard work in his class and to congratulate me on making an A. He also sent my parents a handwritten note informing them of my performance and telling them that he thought that I had a bright future ahead of me, et cetera (I thought this was very nice). My questions: In spite of the incident in the beginning of the semester, do you guys think I would be alright if I asked my professor for a LOR? If so, should I ask him now (I'm a rising sophomore in college) or closer to the application cycle?

:laugh:

you should ask him if he is willing to write you a good rec. he seems like a nice dude and seems to like you

Ask him if we can commit to it and periodically remember to send the prof. an e-mail or stop by his office. I have never heard of a professor sending a letter to a student's parents... Sounds sort of weird....

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask him if we can commit to it and periodically remember to send the prof. an e-mail or stop by his office. I have never heard of a professor sending a letter to a student's parents... Sounds sort of weird....
I took it more as a friendly gesture, as did my parents lol

Last edited:
Absolutely ask him.

The first time I met my best friend in high school I threw his backpack in a dumpster. A year later we were great friends. Had he been in a position to write me a LoR; I would have asked him, and I'm sure it would be great.

It sounds like you developed a good relationship with this prof. Ask him if he'd write a good recommendation (focusing on the A's and improvement more than the note passing). I'm sure he'll be happy to. Your relationship now is more important than the initial friction.

Absolutely ask him.

The first time I met my best friend in high school I threw his backpack in a dumpster. A year later we were great friends. Had he been in a position to write me a LoR; I would have asked him, and I'm sure it would be great.

It sounds like you developed a good relationship with this prof. Ask him if he'd write a good recommendation (focusing on the A's and improvement more than the note passing). I'm sure he'll be happy to. Your relationship now is more important than the initial friction.

:laugh: loves it.

dude.. thats crazy, I thought professors weren't allowed to discuss ur grade with anyone else...

dude.. thats crazy, I thought professors weren't allowed to discuss ur grade with anyone else...
Not if my parents are the ones paying for the class....hahahaha. Plus the note didn't explicitly say that I made an A in the class. Just that my performance was at the top of the class.

I think I'm going to ask him for a LOR....I was just hesitant because of the initial trouble I caused in his class.

Last edited:
Not if my parents are the ones paying for the class.
Yeah, it's still illegal even when your parents pay for your tuition. You and your parents have to sign a waiver releasing your grades, as according to FERPA. I guess FERPA doesn't stop your professor from writing a semi-vague letter, sans-grade.

Still, use the letter.

Yeah, it's still illegal even when your parents pay for your tuition. You and your parents have to sign a waiver releasing your grades, as according to FERPA. I guess FERPA doesn't stop your professor from writing a semi-vague letter, sans-grade.

Still, use the letter.
Damn that professor for telling my parents I did great in a course. Hope that guy rots in the prison they send him to:mad:

be cute about it. randomly walk into his office hour and secretly hand him a note regarding your LOR request

What's he going to do? Write a letter about you passing notes? Of course ask him! He clearly sees that you've changed your ways and appreciates that!

i think its hysterical you got yelled at for passing notes in a COLLEGE class. lol. but yea, ask him.

i think its hysterical you got yelled at for passing notes in a COLLEGE class. lol. but yea, ask him.
My Southeast Asia Civ professor did that too. He actually called me out when I brought my GF in...recognizing I didn't bring people to lecture and calling me out?:laugh: