LOR - No response months later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been getting kind of depressed and antsy about this. I asked for LORs in October and December. As far as I know I had a good rapport with both preceptors, and my evaluation comments spoke to me being a hard-working professional. That is to say there are no red flags and I have no reason to believe I had a rocky relationship with any of these people. Anyway I asked for an LOR the last week of my rotation and sent them both the ERAS form and my CV. I emailed the October LOR writer about 4 weeks later to check in and make sure they got anything. No reply. I figured I'd give them some time. Then I tried 8 weeks. I sent out another email yesterday with some CV updates.

As for the LOR writer from December I haven't sent anything to but i also only just got the evaluation back.

I don't know what to think. Obviously all physicians are busy and this person did just have their second kid a few months ago. I just don't know if this is 'normal' LOR behavior or if I should be worried... i feel like I'm really banking on these two and just twisting in the wind.

Members don't see this ad.

If these attendings have done this before, they'll know it's still WAY too early. ERAS 2021-2022 itself doesn't open for a good couple of months and I remember asking for my letters way back in March in my cycle. I checked in every now and then and was ignored. What happens is that these preceptors get tons of requests, they say yes to them in person, but let the materials pile up in their inboxes. Most academic attendings who care spend the first two weeks of September pulling late-nights to complete all these letters.

One thing you can do is to try to maximize in person time with them so they at least remember who you are and maybe in passing you can mention the letter to which they'll say of course, I'll get it to you before you have to submit. This is something most students have trouble with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If these attendings have done this before, they'll know it's still WAY too early. ERAS 2021-2022 itself doesn't open for a good couple of months and I remember asking for my letters way back in March in my cycle. I checked in every now and then and was ignored. What happens is that these preceptors get tons of requests, they say yes to them in person, but let the materials pile up in their inboxes. Most academic attendings who care spend the first two weeks of September pulling late-nights to complete all these letters.

One thing you can do is to try to maximize in person time with them so they at least remember who you are and maybe in passing you can mention the letter to which they'll say of course, I'll get it to you before you have to submit. This is something every most students have trouble with.
Thanks, this makes me feel a lot better - got nothing to worry about then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, this makes me feel a lot better - got nothing to worry about then?
Absolutely nothing. Do keep checking in and if you don't hear by August, go find them in person to verify.

Reactions: 1 user
Many attendings wait till near app cycle to do them in bulk. If they’re still dragging their feet at that time, it’s more concerning
One advise: if you’re a DO applying IM, get your chair letter early. This was a pain in the butt and many of us got our letter couple of days before ERAS opened

Reactions: 1 user
Please contact other preceptors for LOR to have backups ready. My main one decided 1 day prior to drop his letter. Life isn’t fair, ppl don’t care for your future

Probably nothing to worry about this far out. If they said yes in person then you’re definitely fine.

Pro tip when contacting academic attendings for this kind of thing: once you’ve gotten the ok from them verbally or otherwise and sent them your stuff, reach out to their administrative assistant with reminders and whatnot. If anyone is keeping a file of letters to do, it’s their admin. This is especially helpful when asking for chair letters. But either way, it’s good to put another layer between you. Their admin nags them about tasks to complete all the time so you don’t have to.