1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

LOR predicament

Discussion in 'Dermatology' started by sawtella, Jul 28, 2011.

1. sawtella

5+ Year Member

So I spent a considerable amount of time (+3 months doing research and working with him in clinic) with this one attending at my school and was hoping to get a LOR from him but when I asked, he me told to write it myself and he would just add a few things. Is this a good thing? and how does one go about and actually write a LOR about oneself without coming off as too self-serving? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 311

Resident [Any Field]
    this happens all the time in my opinion. happened to me. my understanding is that if programs are considering you strongly that they will just contact your letter writer and ask their opinion of you. just write yourself a great letter of recommendation. the chair who asked me to write my added only good things so i thought it was a win win situation.

4. Hoser

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This happened to me as well. It was awkward at first but then said screw it, I'm going to make myself sound amazing. If it's overboard, he can change it a little. My adviser didn't change anything, added a couple of other good things, and off the letter went. Talk yourself up in the letter.