LOR problem...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WOWOWOW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys... so I e-mailed my biochemistry professor for the reference letter

and this is what he wrote

[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Hi ___,

I can write you a letter, but of course I don't really know you, and so it would be preferable if you could get a letter from someone who has had more direct interactions with you. But I understand that this can be difficult for students in your position, so if you don't have anyone better I can write a letter.

However, it won't be a very strong one. I will have to be honest in the letter about the size of the class and my inability to comment on your personality or academic abilities. So if that's good enough for you, send me an unofficial copy of your transcript and let me know where and when to send the letters.

Regards,.
Dr. _______

Class sizes are very big at my university... smallest is around 200 students...
it is very hard to get LORs from science professors...
I'm getting 2 LORs from oral pathologists that I worked with...

Should I still ask him to write me a letter...?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, have him write you a LOR.

You don't necessarily have to use it, but it may be handy for a just-in-case situation. :thumbup:

Definitely get a letter from him, but it's weird that he doesn't want to informally interview you for a bit.

ALL of my LORs came from large classes (my university was 40,000, it's unavoidable), but all the professors sat with me and talked about my accomplishments and goals and all that, some of them asked for my personal statement/transcript/resume that they could base their letter off of

Maybe you can offer these things to him so that his letter will sound more personal?

Members don't see this ad :)
However, it won't be a very strong one. I will have to be honest in the letter about the size of the class and my inability to comment on your personality or academic abilities. So if that's good enough for you, send me an unofficial copy of your transcript and let me know where and when to send the letters.
I'm getting 2 LORs from oral pathologists that I worked with...

It could turn out that the "not very strong one" letter from you biochem prof might carry more weight than the 2 from the oral pathologists.

Definitely get a letter from him, but it's weird that he doesn't want to informally interview you for a bit.

Ask him if he will sit down with you for an hour so that HE feels more comfortable with the letter. This will translate into a stronger reference.

Ask him if he will sit down with you for an hour so that HE feels more comfortable with the letter. This will translate into a stronger reference.

There is a good chance that if the prof was interested he would have made the suggestion.