LOR Question - veCollect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmarzouk08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Eh... Well, I didn't use a committee because my school doesn't have one. I just submitted 4 individual letters.

Even though there wasn't a place for me to indicate that there wasn't a committee at my school, I *never* got asked why I had individual letters.

If your committee is causing a headache, just don't use them. If you get asked about it in an interview (which I think is unlikely), just say they had arbitrary letter requirements that didn't really mesh with those of the various schools you were applying to.

I believe it is. The thing is I am required to submit thru my undergraduate university, rather than my post-bacc university. And so, it's been a pain reaching them. Every month or so I call, am instructed to send an email, send it, then never hear back.

If it is a committee composite letter, which I now see why they would want more letters. Should I submit differently? I've invested a great amount of time to build relationships with these 4 authors (at the expense of relationships with other potential letter authors). That's what I'm worried about. I'm also leaning away from a committee composite letter because I've never met the advisor who would write it - and I never will. She would receive great letters, but I really have no means of meeting her in person because I'm far enough removed from my undergraduate degree. On the other hand, schools have told me they would prefer one letter over individual letters.

Glimmer, you've helped me before! Can you do it again? :))))
My school vecollect too. Where does it state you need at least 4 letters?

Eh... Well, I didn't use a committee because my school doesn't have one. I just submitted 4 individual letters.

Even though there wasn't a place for me to indicate that there wasn't a committee at my school, I *never* got asked why I had individual letters.

If your committee is causing a headache, just don't use them. If you get asked about it in an interview (which I think is unlikely), just say they had arbitrary letter requirements that didn't really mesh with those of the various schools you were applying to.

I called a few of dental school admissions offices to ask about whether to use the committee (I was considering not using mine) and was told more than once that not utilizing the committee service at your school (if the school has one) can be seen as if you're hiding something or would not have been endorsed by the school. That advice is from the horse's mouth and contradictory to what you're saying here.

I'm sure it's not hard to figure out which schools have committees with multiple people applying to dental school from the same school.

Last edited:
I see that. I just now need to weigh the pro's and con's here. I'm in a sort of unique position, so maybe I'll contact a few of the schools I am applying to and see what they suggest in my case.

I think contacting a couple of schools would be the best course of action. You can't go wrong with that.

If you're not at the school anymore, the situation might be viewed in a different light.

Reactions: 1 user
I called a few of dental school admissions offices to ask about whether to use the committee (I was considering not using mine) and was told more than once that not utilizing the committee service at your school (if the school has one) can be seen as if you're hiding something or would not have been endorsed by the school. That advice is directly contradictory to what you're saying here.

I'm sure it's not hard to figure out which schools have committees with multiple people applying to dental school from the same school.

Well, that's good to know. I've just never *personally* heard of someone running into an issue with not using a committee... But I guess it could happen. Maybe people just don't post and "report back" on SDN when they get negative feedback from bypassing the committee.

OP, I guess you should just call the schools, as you suggested.

Reactions: 1 user