LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chill3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently in the process of taking two years off while working and getting my app ready for next cycle. I ended up living with a doctor who is a physician and instructor at one of my dream schools (I just rent a room from him). While we never interact in a clinical or professional setting we have (and will have) many discussions about medicine, my goals, his reactions and impressions of medicine etc. I am wondering if, when it comes time to assemble LORs, it would be worthwhile to approach him for a character reference type of letter, maybe tailored to my dream school that he works at? Or would this be not useful for the admission committee since we haven't "worked" together?

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

For a personal/character letter, you'd be foolish not to utilize him.

We'll see how other people feel about this, because I know some people get LORs from physicians who are essentially family friends, but I think it is not worthwhile, because a lot of people can talk the talk but then flop when actually in a medical or academic setting.

If you want a LOR from him, why not ask if you can shadow/volunteer in his practice first, and then he can include any relevant information he has from your personal interactions in the context of a LOR where he doesn't say he merely knows you as his tenant.