Sep 13, 2014
I have three letters from psych and two letters from medicine and peds. We're only allowed to send four letters per institution and I was wondering if I would be better off using three psych + another specialty or two psych + two other specialties. The latter combination shows that I had good rapport across several specialties but I wonder if simply submitting more psych would be more telling of me as a psych resident.

splik

Professional Cat at Large
7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
you should submit the strongest LoRs. of which at least one should be psych and one non-psych. also check - some places only want 3 letters. some places want a certain number of psych letters. this will be on the websites.

psychattending

Program Director
10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
Saint Louis
Status
Attending Physician
I have three letters from psych and two letters from medicine and peds. We're only allowed to send four letters per institution and I was wondering if I would be better off using three psych + another specialty or two psych + two other specialties. The latter combination shows that I had good rapport across several specialties but I wonder if simply submitting more psych would be more telling of me as a psych resident.
Assuming the letters are of similar strength, go with two from psych and one from elsewhere if you can only do three. If you get 4 letters, do 2+2