AvicennaMED

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,

So I took a behavioral biology research class for two semesters and have become well acquainted with the professor. She wrote me LORs for a few summer programs and am currently a co-author on a paper that her, a few other authors, and I wrote and is being reviewed. I want to ask if she could write a LOR for my med school applications, however, I wasn't sure if it would fall under a non-science LOR. The professor has her PhD in Human Molecular Genetics but she is hired under the Department of Psychology because her research pertains to alcoholism and human behavior. I believe that it would fall under science LOR because the class I took was a BIO course. What are your thoughts on this? I just want to know if I should ask another professor for a LOR.

Best,
AvicennaMED

CyrilFiggis

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Ask her. Lots of schools allow additional LORs so I would certainly want to have one from your PI on hand for those programs.

Doctor-S

Grand Rounds
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2016
Hello everyone,

So I took a behavioral biology research class for two semesters and have become well acquainted with the professor. She wrote me LORs for a few summer programs and am currently a co-author on a paper that her, a few other authors, and I wrote and is being reviewed. I want to ask if she could write a LOR for my med school applications, however, I wasn't sure if it would fall under a non-science LOR. The professor has her PhD in Human Molecular Genetics but she is hired under the Department of Psychology because her research pertains to alcoholism and human behavior. I believe that it would fall under science LOR because the class I took was a BIO course. What are your thoughts on this? I just want to know if I should ask another professor for a LOR.

Best,
AvicennaMED
It sounds as if the behavioral biology research class is "cross-listed" in Bio and Psych, correct? As a listed BIO content course, it qualifies as "science." Same thing for your professor in this course.

If you're still concerned, consult with your pre-med advisor or contact the schools for further clarification.

Last edited:

TheBiologist

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
if it's a behavior science it's a social science

if it's physiology, genetics or math that just happened to be in the psych dept it's BCPM

it depends on the course content

OP
AvicennaMED

AvicennaMED

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Ask her. Lots of schools allow additional LORs so I would certainly want to have one from your PI on hand for those programs.
Yeah I definitely will. I just wanted to make sure that I fulfill the two science letter, and one non-science letter requirement.

It sounds as if the behavioral biology research class is "cross-listed" in Bio and Psych, correct? As a listed BIO content course, it qualifies as "science." Same thing for your professor in this course.

If you're still concerned, consult with your pre-med advisor or contact the schools for further clarification.
Yeah, it was cross listed as it had a biological component to it. And thanks for the advice, I will definitely ask my adviser.

if it's a behavior science it's a social science

if it's physiology, genetics or math that just happened to be in the psych dept it's BCPM

it depends on the course content
The class had a genetic component to it. I got credit for it as a biology course. So I would say that it could be BCPM.

Thank you all for your input and advice!

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Her letter will be accepted as science letter at most schools. Dont get worried about it

OP
AvicennaMED

AvicennaMED

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Her letter will be accepted as science letter at most schools. Dont get worried about it
Thank you for letting me know. That's what I thought, but needed some assurance.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Thank you for letting me know. That's what I thought, but needed some assurance.
Well, now you have to pay the assurance premium and file a claim else a medical school may bounce your LOR back to you unread

Reactions: genericscreenname