LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvicennaMED

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I took a behavioral biology research class for two semesters and have become well acquainted with the professor. She wrote me LORs for a few summer programs and am currently a co-author on a paper that her, a few other authors, and I wrote and is being reviewed. I want to ask if she could write a LOR for my med school applications, however, I wasn't sure if it would fall under a non-science LOR. The professor has her PhD in Human Molecular Genetics but she is hired under the Department of Psychology because her research pertains to alcoholism and human behavior. I believe that it would fall under science LOR because the class I took was a BIO course. What are your thoughts on this? I just want to know if I should ask another professor for a LOR.

Best,
AvicennaMED

Members don't see this ad.

Ask her. Lots of schools allow additional LORs so I would certainly want to have one from your PI on hand for those programs.

Hello everyone,

So I took a behavioral biology research class for two semesters and have become well acquainted with the professor. She wrote me LORs for a few summer programs and am currently a co-author on a paper that her, a few other authors, and I wrote and is being reviewed. I want to ask if she could write a LOR for my med school applications, however, I wasn't sure if it would fall under a non-science LOR. The professor has her PhD in Human Molecular Genetics but she is hired under the Department of Psychology because her research pertains to alcoholism and human behavior. I believe that it would fall under science LOR because the class I took was a BIO course. What are your thoughts on this? I just want to know if I should ask another professor for a LOR.

Best,
AvicennaMED
It sounds as if the behavioral biology research class is "cross-listed" in Bio and Psych, correct? As a listed BIO content course, it qualifies as "science." Same thing for your professor in this course.

If you're still concerned, consult with your pre-med advisor or contact the schools for further clarification.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
if it's a behavior science it's a social science

if it's physiology, genetics or math that just happened to be in the psych dept it's BCPM

it depends on the course content

Ask her. Lots of schools allow additional LORs so I would certainly want to have one from your PI on hand for those programs.
Yeah I definitely will. I just wanted to make sure that I fulfill the two science letter, and one non-science letter requirement.

It sounds as if the behavioral biology research class is "cross-listed" in Bio and Psych, correct? As a listed BIO content course, it qualifies as "science." Same thing for your professor in this course.

If you're still concerned, consult with your pre-med advisor or contact the schools for further clarification.

Yeah, it was cross listed as it had a biological component to it. And thanks for the advice, I will definitely ask my adviser.

if it's a behavior science it's a social science

if it's physiology, genetics or math that just happened to be in the psych dept it's BCPM

it depends on the course content

The class had a genetic component to it. I got credit for it as a biology course. So I would say that it could be BCPM.

Thank you all for your input and advice!

Her letter will be accepted as science letter at most schools. Dont get worried about it
Thank you for letting me know. That's what I thought, but needed some assurance.