LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virgo32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last year and didn't match. IMG here. I've sent emails to my LOR writers but haven't got any reply from them for updating my LOR date this year for my application. Not getting any observerships and don't even know how will I get any new letter this year. will it affect my aaplication if I use those letters with last year date? I know its complicated. anyone with similar experience. Please share your experience.

Members don't see this ad.

What specialty are you looking for? I had a total of 4 LORs, of which 2 were updated and the other 2 were from a previous cycle. If your LORs are only a year old, I don't think it will be a problem. Considering the current pandemic and how busy your LOR writers must be, I would give it some time. I would write a detailed email stating what you plan to do this year and how you plan on bouncing back. It can give your writers extra substance and material to write on your letters. If you have already graduated, I would suggest taking Step 3, although I am not sure what the prometric center openings will be like in the next few months.

To be brief, I do not think it will hurt you to have LORs from last year. It would definitely be beneficial to have updated ones.

Reactions: 1 user
What specialty are you looking for? I had a total of 4 LORs, of which 2 were updated and the other 2 were from a previous cycle. If your LORs are only a year old, I don't think it will be a problem. Considering the current pandemic and how busy your LOR writers must be, I would give it some time. I would write a detailed email stating what you plan to do this year and how you plan on bouncing back. It can give your writers extra substance and material to write on your letters. If you have already graduated, I would suggest taking Step 3, although I am not sure what the prometric center openings will be like in the next few months.

To be brief, I do not think it will hurt you to have LORs from last year. It would definitely be beneficial to have updated ones.
Yeah, I'm an old grad. Looking for shadowing but no luck so far. I'm so thankful for your reply/ I was so worried about it. My LORS are from last year. I applied to IM and FM but didn't match. Hope this ear bring some luck.