LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EVN3331

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My application will be sent out in 1-2 weeks or so but just got my LOR together. So my question is would it be faster to just send the LOR to each school individually? Is that even allowed? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

EVN3331 said:
My application will be sent out in 1-2 weeks or so but just got my LOR together. So my question is would it be faster to just send the LOR to each school individually? Is that even allowed? Thanks for the help.

Not only is it allowed, I would highly recommend sending the letters directly to the schools yourself or through your Pre-Health department. The letters will not get delayed, lost, or wisked away to a magical fairy land like AADSAS has a tendency to do. I've said it before but its worth repeating: Have as little to do with AADSAS as possible and the whole application process will be easier.

Veneto said:
Not only is it allowed, I would highly recommend sending the letters directly to the schools yourself or through your Pre-Health department. The letters will not get delayed, lost, or wisked away to a magical fairy land like AADSAS has a tendency to do. I've said it before but its worth repeating: Have as little to do with AADSAS as possible and the whole application process will be easier.

but what if u're applying to 13 schools? wouldn't you kinda want AADSAS to do it for u?

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, you do not want to send in yourself. My professor put together a document on how to request LOR's. This is one thing that you do not want to do. His reasoning is that doing so will make the adcom think that you had requested a lot of LOR's and only forward the positive ones.

EVN3331 said:

yeah i definitely agree with veneto..if at all possible do not go through aadsas..isnt' there someone at your school that for a price will send them to all of the schools u want? at my school the secretary of the guy in charge of the pre-health program sent me a checklist of schools i wanted them sent to and a form listing which professors i was requesting them from..so i sent that in to her and asked the professors that i wanted letters from to write them..they sent them in to her and she sent them to all of my schools..all for only 15 bucks! it worked out well..what i did for my dentist's LOR was had him make 8 copies and put each one in one of the envelopes he would use to mail stuff out from his office and told him to sign the flap of the envelope so that u could tell if it had been tampered with and then sent those in myself to all of my schools..so that's what i would recommend u do! i suppose if u have no way of getting multiple copies or of having someone send them for u then u have no choice but aadsas..hopefully they'll get there.........eventually ;)

It's definitely faster to do it without AADSAS if possible, because they are slooooooooow and it may hold up your app. You may consider sending copies in with your secondary apps so not to deal with separate mailings. I would check with the schools you want to send them and see what they advise. UOP for example, just asked me to fax them a copy.

i don't want to hijack this thread...
but i am slightly concerned now..
the letter of recommendations i am sending to schools include two chemistry professors (my major) and no biology letters would this cause a problem?? i could try to beg for a letter from my histology course that i am taking currently but its kinda of late now?

do u have a pre-proffessional advisory board at your school? Certain D-Schools require certain types of letters, such as one from a dentist....

i do but my decision to go to dental school did not start till aroudn may.. and at my school you have to have meet with them back in february to get a letter.. they are like "we are sorry, you are on your own since you didn't figure out what you wanted to do back in feburary"...