LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddshopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my LOR's. I have been out of school for over 2 years, and all of my basic science classes were 5 years ago and in classes of 250+ people, not to mention that I did not have a pre-dental committee. Any recomendations on how to handle this? any advice would be very helpful. The LOR's that were submitted to AADSAS were from a dentist and 2 others I do/did research with.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ddshopeful said:
I am having a problem with my LOR's. I have been out of school for over 2 years, and all of my basic science classes were 5 years ago and in classes of 250+ people, not to mention that I did not have a pre-dental committee. Any recomendations on how to handle this? any advice would be very helpful. The LOR's that were submitted to AADSAS were from a dentist and 2 others I do/did research with.
Thanks

That is a bit of a predicament you're in. As harsh as this may sound, you'll probably have to hunt those professors down and ask them for a recommendation. Chances are they might want to sit down with you and conduct an interview and/or have you submit an updated CV/resume (handing them your personal statement also wouldn't hurt). A lot of dental schools are specific in their LOR requirement in that two or more letters must be from science faculty and usually they specify which (e.g. chemistry, biology). Best of luck!

I was in a similar situation. I wish I had gone to more office hours to get noticed, but what's done is done. I just started calling up my old profs and to my surprise, two of them actually remembered me. So I just met with them, and caught up on what i've been doing for the past few years. I also gave them copies of my personal statement, extracurricular activities, resume, etc. I don't know how great the LORs were, but I was just happy to get any.

ddshopeful said:
Thanks

I was out of schools for 4 years before I decided to apply to dental schools. Getting LOR was difficult for me since the professors didn't remember me that well. I contacted the professors and told them about my situation, and went to talk to them in person, giving them a chance to get to know me better. I also gave them my personal statement and resume to help them get a better picture of me. I hope this helps. Good luck!