LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have read that for applying for residency it helps to have a "name" doctor write one of your LOR's. You think the same thing applies to med school. Not thinking it would be a major help but hey every little bit counts.

Members don't see this ad.

It obviously cannot hurt. Do I think it will help? Not really, but if I were you I would still get it. If its a doctor at a school you are applying to, it might mean a little more.

jackets5 said:
i have read that for applying for residency it helps to have a "name" doctor write one of your LOR's. You think the same thing applies to med school. Not thinking it would be a major help but hey every little bit counts.

One of my LORs came from the head of Pediatrics at my school, but I don't know exactly how famous or how much of a 'name doctor' he is. Anyway, when I applied at his alma mater, I didn't even get an interview. So read into that what you will. I don't think it matters that much, but hey, it probably can't hurt either.