LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U

uvapremed

So I've gathered a bunch of LORs (6 and 1 more is on the way) and I realize this is a large amount. One of the letters is from the pre-health advisor at my school. I'm wondering for schools that don't require a pre-health committee letter, should I still send this one in? For my advisor to write the letter, I had to complete a mock AMCAS application with an outline of the PS i planned to write and had about a 30 minute mock interview with her. Outside of this, I have met with her occasionally. Should I send this letter in or leave it out as 7 LORs seems a tad too much?

Members don't see this ad.

6 is even kind of a lot. Some schools restrict their applicants to no more than 5, typically 2-4 are required. Personally, i'd give them what they require, plus anything else that is special or different. So give them your best required letters, then send only one more and only if you have different experiences with that person, like maybe a work supervisor, research supervisor, or your pre-med advisor. Just my 2 cents, take it for what its worth (not much). Anyway, kudos to you on gathering so many, its definitely better than not having enough.

I think you definitely need to include the pre-health advisor. Some schools will wonder about it if you leave it out. Maybe you could cut one of your other letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
That does seem like a ton of letters. I thought the standard format was around 2 sci profs, 1 non-sci prof, and someone else (possibly pre-med committee)

7 plus an adviser letter is excessive in my opinion too.

I used 3 letters and 1 adviser letter. My schools letter service sends all of them to each school. However, on many secondaries, you can only write down a limited number of recommenders.

I have a lot of letters, 8 maybe? But they all are in a composite letter compiled by my pre-med advisor...so, i'm only sending the one when the option comes up on the secondary

leahmaria said:
I have a lot of letters, 8 maybe? But they all are in a composite letter compiled by my pre-med advisor...so, i'm only sending the one when the option comes up on the secondary
I'm pretty sure that's now how it works. Most of the time, you have to list your different recommenders.

hijacking because i hate starting new threads. anyway, i am using Interfolio. i'm going to throw out a hypothetical now. lets say that the required letters get to interfolio before all of my "additional" letters do. should i go ahead and send out the required and then send out the additional when i get those?? i know this will be more expensive for me, but i don't want to sit here and have to wait to be reviewed cuz i haven't sent in my letters. basically, i already have 2 science, 1 humanities (prof is at a different school now though and not teaching but taking classes there so i don't know if this would actually count as humanities), and 1 personal (my coach). i am waiting on another humanities (which possibly is better than the 1st) and one from my boss for the past three summers (which is going to be really strong). so, should i wait till i have these last two or should i send out what i can and send these others in once i get them? thanks guys :)

bumping myself....anyone have an opinion/idea? i just hate sitting around when i have some letters that i could send in even though they may not be the best ones

You know? I am waiting for my interfolio to have my required three academic plus one of my two "interesting" personal letters. I don't want to go under review without a say from my volunteer coordinator or my boss. I worked hard for those letters, and I want those people to stand up for me, you know?

Right now I have one academic (which is fine because it was the one a LOT of schools needed from the original mailing)...

usually the advisor letter is not considered as an actual letter because it's more of a cover letter. even so 6 LORs is way too much. i'd cut that number down to 3 or 4 at the most. if you're really that awesome, it should show through your app.

so y'all think i should just wait so i have the letters i feel are the strongest? i am not sending all 6 anywhere, i just want to have a selection to send. i could theoretically send letters in now, but they aren't my best ones. i'm getting the feeling that i should just wait :confused: