LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U

uvapremed

I was wondering if it is required to send in 2 science LORs. Some schools just wish to have a pre-health committee leader, which I have. So I am debating which additional letters to send. I am biomedical engineer and econ major; so, I have gathered 2 science, 2 econ, and 2 character references. I feel like the norm/custom is to send at least 2 science & 1 non-science. However, I feel like one of my science letters is just not as good as the rest. Would it be weird to send 1 science and 2 non-science letters along with my character reference letters? Or is my understanding of LORs not the norm?

Members don't see this ad.

uvapremed said:
I was wondering if it is required to send in 2 science LORs. Some schools just wish to have a pre-health committee leader, which I have. So I am debating which additional letters to send. I am biomedical engineer and econ major; so, I have gathered 2 science, 2 econ, and 2 character references. I feel like the norm/custom is to send at least 2 science & 1 non-science. However, I feel like one of my science letters is just not as good as the rest. Would it be weird to send 1 science and 2 non-science letters along with my character reference letters? Or is my understanding of LORs not the norm?

The school will tell you what LOR it wants. Some specify science or non-science professors specifically. Some schools don't ask for/want character references. If possible, tailor what you send to the school's specifications.

so... uva premed... I assume you have a letter from the pre-med advisor (I go to uva too)... that's technically not a "committee" letter by itself... when she told us to get 2 sci and 2 non-sci... we essentially created our own "committee" so all 5 of those letters together get sent in as your "committee letter"... if you're using Interfolio, you send it in as one big packet. That one packet covers the LOR requirement at most schools (all the schools I've applied to so far) and you just check "committee" on your secondary so they know you're sending everything together at once. Does this help? PM me with questions... :luck: