LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkikkokka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm applying for 2008 cycle.
I have a question about rec letters
did you guys ask for LOR before the summer?
which means
should I ask them now before the summer begins?
Thank You :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm applying for 2008 cycle.
I have a question about rec letters
did you guys ask for LOR before the summer?
which means
should I ask them now before the summer begins?
Thank You :)

you should have been asking profs for the past few years. in any case, you should get them now b/c many faculty arent available during the summer.

i already asked the dentist that i shadowed & one of my science prof for LOR but i still have to get 1 more science prof... i think m gonna do that after the summer....dont really know who to get it from :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Try this

And the main site: DMDstudent.com

Networking early is the best bet to get a good letter. Dont wwait until last minute.

i already asked the dentist that i shadowed & one of my science prof for LOR but i still have to get 1 more science prof... i think m gonna do that after the summer....dont really know who to get it from :(

you do realize that waiting until after summer will prevent your application from being reviewed by dental schools until they have all of the required LORs?

Thank you guys :)

Try this

And the main site: DMDstudent.com

Networking early is the best bet to get a good letter. Dont wwait until last minute.

Thanx for useful information.
but i have a question!

"The AADSAS website has a list of all the schools and the types of letters that they require."

I couldn't find a list at the AADSAS website. can anyone tell me where the list is???????????? thank you!

well our school has this service where they contact the people who are going to write to write LOR for me......so i told them that i have list of all the people but m missing 1 so they said thts fine we not gonna send out packet until we get ur summer grade....& tht would be at the end of july or in first week of august....

does a letter from TA counts?

does a letter from TA counts?

I believe it depends on the school. I know UIC will accept a letter from a TA, but you'd probably want one from a prof in addition to that. If you go to a massive school like me (U of Illinois Champaign-Urbana), they may be a bit more forgiving, because not EVERYONE is able to get to know a prof. But really, you know that having a letter from a prof will make you look that much more impressive. HOWEVER, if it's between a stellar letter from a TA and a ho-hum letter from a prof, well, it may be better to get the letter from the TA. So basically, use your best judgment. I'm in the same boat, so I feel ya.. good luck!

I believe it depends on the school. I know UIC will accept a letter from a TA, but you'd probably want one from a prof in addition to that. If you go to a massive school like me (U of Illinois Champaign-Urbana), they may be a bit more forgiving, because not EVERYONE is able to get to know a prof. But really, you know that having a letter from a prof will make you look that much more impressive. HOWEVER, if it's between a stellar letter from a TA and a ho-hum letter from a prof, well, it may be better to get the letter from the TA. So basically, use your best judgment. I'm in the same boat, so I feel ya.. good luck!
thanks a lot! i actually have 1 lor from bio teach & 1 from a dentist...i want to get another LOR from uper level science prof like ochm,biochm, micro etc...but thing is i have only taken ochm...& my ochm 1 teacher was horriblee.....& ochm II is pretty nice....but i think he is a lil weird ....m doing good in tht class but he doesnt know me so dont wanna get letter from him...besides tht havnt taken any upper level class..m gonna take gen micro in summer so thinking might get it from that prof!
what do u think about tht?
thanks again