LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mudfever

Still Searching
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying next summer for allo schools, but had a question about LOR's. I have noticed that many of the non-trad's had their employers do a LOR. Well, I worked in the family business and my father was president and my boss. One of my advisors had mentioned possibly asking him for a letter. I don't think it would be a good idea. Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't get a LOR from your Dad. Have you worked for anyone else besides your family? I worked for my Dad for many years too, so I understand. I would try and get a LOR from an employer you're not related to. :D

If you were employed in a family business, the usual advice of getting a LOR from your employer just doesn't apply.

I'm an adcom member who usually hangs out on the pre-allo board but this topic title caught my eye.

:luck:

Yeah, that is what I thought. It would be taken as "his daddy wrote him a letter, how sweet :thumbdown: NOT!" Haha.

prionsRbad - Not really, I had different jobs while in school, but only worked for the fam. bus. after school.

Now I will be starting a part-time position as a cardio-pulmonary tech to gain patient contact in 2 weeks. I will probably work there for 2 years (when I will finish my second UG in Bio - 1st was in Bus. & Admin.). And the real bonus is that the pos. is at the med school hospital. I will ask for a LOR from them.

Thanks for the advice!