LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am applying in this year's cycle and was wondering if the people who got in to MD schools could answer some questions for me. How many academic LORs did you guys/gals submit with your apps? Also, how well did you know them?

I have a professor that knows me quite well but might not give me a stellar reference ( I did my honors research with her). However, I have other professors that I have merely taken a class with, that I think will give me good references if I ask (I participated a lot in class). Which one would you choose to give you the reference?

Thank you in advance for any advice and information

Members don't see this ad.

well haven't gotten in yet, but i would personally go with the one that would give you the better recommendation.

X

Members don't see this ad :)
On the same subject, anyone have suggestions on the age of LORs. I mean if I take a chem class my sophmore year and get a really good LOR from the prof then when it comes time to apply a year or so later the LOR is going to be pretty old. Do I have him right it now and keep it until it is time to send it or wait and try to have him write it when it is time to send it and he has probably forgotten all about me.

kumar28, Secondary apps will tell you how many academic LOR's you need. The most common configuration is 2 science, 1 non-science, but some schools ask specifically for a humanities prof, and some want one each from bio, chem, physics and humanitites. I knew one of my letter writers very well - he was my academic advisor and mentor. The other 2 academic recs I got from profs who I didn't know all that well, but who had been enthused about my academic work at the time. My one non-academic letter was from a doc I had shadowed for 10 weeks, and who knows me and my family well. Ask your honors research prof if she will give you an unreserved, good LOR. If she says she can't, then find someone who can.

daver, the letter needs to be written in the context of your applying to med school, and since you're not doing that yet.......I'd hold off on asking for it. Maybe talk to the professor and say that you will be asking for it when the time comes. Then, keep in touch with the prof, letting him/her know how your pre-med studies are going, etc.