1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

LOR question

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by hidentalschool, May 27, 2008.

1. hidentalschool

Pre-Dental
    So I asked my major advisor if he could write a positive LOR. He said he would write a fair one, which means shortcomings will also be included in LOR.

The problem is that he mentioned my shortcoming is not being able to concentrate on details (I am not concentrating on writing my thesis for my Master's degree now).
    Will this LOR influence my application very negatively?

Thank you in advance for any kind suggestion.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    IMHO, it probably will affect your application negatively to a certain extent, but it shouldn't be drastic. Just be sure to know what to say during your interviews when this question comes up.

This advice was actually given to me by my pre-health advisor: You should always ask the LOR writer if he/she is able to write you a "good LOR". Pretty much what you are doing here. If their answer is no, then your are probably better off not asking them.

After all, a LOR with many shortcomings isn't technically a "Letter of Recommendation", right?

4. Bruinlove

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ask another person. I think that if he/she really meant that the letter will also include shortcomings, I doubt you have a good relationship with him/her.

5. hidentalschool

Pre-Dental
    Thank you for the quick replies!

The thing is he is my major advisor. Normaly speaking, I should have his LOR included, right?

I quit Ph.D. program and decide to apply for dental school instead. I think that's why he is not very happy.

6. Bruinlove

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Some schools require a letter from pre-health advisor or committe, but for most of them, you can opt out for individual letters from science professors.

7. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Not at all. I didn't have my major advisor write my LORs and I was fine. I think most students opt to have a dentist and a few professors write them LORs, and that's pretty much about it.

8. hidentalschool

Pre-Dental
    Good to know.
    I thought if I don't have my major advisor's LOR, dental schools will wonder why is that, which may cause the issue more complicated than a "fair" LOR.