LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avery07

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if a letter from the director of chemistry laboratories would count as a professor letter.

Technically, she is not phD however she does oversee the lab sections for all of the chemistry courses. I started and maintained a great relationship with her through my undergraduate and would love to use her as a LOR.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think her letter would count as a "professor letter" ONLY if she taught you directly.

I know some schools are very strict requiring letters from people who instructed you.

If she did not teach you, then I would only use her letter as a character reference (or a reference as a supervisor). Seeing that she does not have a PhD does not help matters. However, if she had a Masters that would help.

Overall, if she didn't teach you, then I think it's safe to assume that her letter would NOT bare as much weight as a PhD/Instructor/Job Supervisor, and it certainly would NOT count as a "prof letter".

Last edited:
im getting a rec letter from

my dean of polysci
my hphys teacher
my genetics teacher
my main dentist
my sunday school counselor where i volunteered

im going to send these to my schools hpac and let them decide which ones to send

do you think this will work any thoughts?
and what should the time line of this be?

Members don't see this ad :)
im getting a rec letter from

my dean of polysci
my hphys teacher
my genetics teacher
my main dentist
my sunday school counselor where i volunteered

im going to send these to my schools hpac and let them decide which ones to send

do you think this will work any thoughts?
and what should the time line of this be?

Are you pre-med or pre-dental?

What is hpac?

I would think her letter would count as a "professor letter" ONLY if she taught you directly.

I know some schools are very strict requiring letters from people who instructed you.

If she did not teach you, then I would only use her letter as a character reference (or a reference as a supervisor). Seeing that she does not have a PhD does not help matters. However, if she had a Masters that would help.

Overall, if she didn't teach you, then I think it's safe to assume that her letter would NOT bare as much weight as a PhD/Instructor/Job Supervisor, and it certainly would NOT count as a "prof letter".

Grad students were the ones teaching me directly. Every week through my first couple years I was however in her office for more direct assistance in my lecture material and lab material I did not understand.

Furthermore, last fall she offered me a job teaching labs for the department so now I work for her.

It's not like I don't have other professors to write me letters or anything, it's just that I would be very honored in having a letter from her. In my opinion, she is the one instructor on campus who knows me best.

If I decide against getting a letter from her, I will go to my old microbiology professor. We have a great relationship as well but it was limited mostly to that class. I made the high score in his class that semester, scoring 100% on both exams of a two-exam final. He said I was the only one to ever do this and always loves to brag about it when we run into each other in the hall. Now, I know this is a great accomplishment and all but having a professor write a letter about how I was his star student doesn't say much about who I am. That's why I want the director of chem labs as she knows me as a person and all my goals and ambitions. -- and has for the last 3 years.

Last edited:
Grad students were the ones teaching me directly. Every week through my first couple years I was however in her office for more direct assistance in my lecture material and lab material I did not understand.

Furthermore, last fall she offered me a job teaching labs for the department so now I work under her.

If she did not teach you directly and administer your grades I would watch out.

She will likely NOT count as a Instructor/Prof/TA letter.

For example, those who work in research labs while doing undergrad work commonly will consult their research mentors for help with a related class. This does not mean that these mentors are instructors.

I know it's not good news for you, but at least you're being forewarned about the situation.

I am in a similar situation.

Edit pertaining to your edit:

Your micro-bio letter will be great! Just find a few more profs to write for you. I think the adcoms understand that you can't get amazing letters from every prof, let alone get to know them all. Many applicants undoubtedly have a few mediocre letters from profs that simply fulfill application requirements and that are generally neutral to your application.

Use your chem lab relationship as a secondary "character" letter.

So if a TA taught the class, could you get them to write you a letter that would count as a "professor" LOR?

So if a TA taught the class, could you get them to write you a letter that would count as a "professor" LOR?

Some schools certainly allow this! I am certain for a fact.

If you have doubts about the school that you are applying to, contact them directly and ask them.

Are you pre-med or pre-dental?

What is hpac?

im predental
hpac is the pre health advising commity at alot of schools

but they often delay the rec leters being sent out bc they have to review them

so my question is what the timelline should look like

Are non-science recommendations worth getting or needed?

Are non-science recommendations worth getting or needed?

Some schools require NON science letter. Make sure to check them out. This is the reason why schools require 3 letters and AADSAS allows 4 letters.

Even though physics is not on the DAT, would a letter of evaluation from a physics professor be worth getting?