LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capo180

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I just completed my freshmen year, and I was just wondering what if I got a LOR this summer from a professor who's course I am taking right now. It might sound like a dumb question. But what should I do with it? Because I will not be applying to medical school for 2 more years. And what about getting multiple copies of it? I'm sorry again if these are dumb questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know whether this would be a good idea. Some med schools don't accept letters that are over a year old. i.e. Baylor: "All evaluations must be current. Evaluations more than one year old are not acceptable."

Also, some med schools value letters from upper division classes (I don't know whether they're called those at your school) more than those from lower division classes like the ones you probably took freshman year.

You should check with the medical schools about this stuff. On the other hand, you can always take another class from that professor later on and get a letter from him then.

I don't know whether this would be a good idea. Some med schools don't accept letters that are over a year old. i.e. Baylor: "All evaluations must be current. Evaluations more than one year old are not acceptable."

Also, some med schools value letters from upper division classes (I don't know whether they're called those at your school) more than those from lower division classes like the ones you probably took freshman year.

You should check with the medical schools about this stuff. On the other hand, you can always take another class from that professor later on and get a letter from him then.

Usually universally true, except for the expiration time frame. Many schools will consider letters from as far back as three years ago current, but this does vary from school to school.

Some undergrad institutions have letter collection service where they'll hold on to your letters for you. You can also look into the online letter collection services that will do the same, though I am admittedly less familiar with them because they weren’t around when I applied to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
the professor may offer to let you see it it which is fine but technically you're supposed to sign a waive saying you've agreed to legally forgo any right to read them. What is definitely a no-no is you are not allowed to hold on the letter and submit it yourself. these requirements are designed to prevent the LOR writer from expressing anything less than their true opinion of you.

instead you're supposed to tell the LOR writer to send it to whatever organization you've decided is going to collect your letters. most undergraduate institutions have a letter-writing service expressly for this purpose. these letter-writing services can send as many copies of your letters to however many schools you apply to, so multiple copies are not necessary. you can also request that they be sent to other places like an employer, but it will vary depending on the school.