LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amberkas11309

:)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of asking for my letters of recommendations for podiatry school this week and I was just confused on some things. If anyone knows answers to any of these questions it would help...these might be stupid questions but I really searched around and couldn't find anything :confused:

1) I have not had the teachers I plan on asking for over a year, so I am not that close with them. I was wondering if I should personally go to their office or if an email would suffice?
2) What did you give your recommenders as a supplement to help them write the letters? Your personal statement? Resume? or some other form of statement?
3) Has anyone ever asked the same teacher for more than 1 recommendation? (I asked the one I plan on asking if he could fill out a page recommendation for a job I applied to, and I feel like asking him for this would be a nuisance?) What do you guys think?
4) What are the teachers actually filling out? Do they just write a paragraph or two about you, or is there some guideline/paper you give them?
5) Would getting a letter from my soccer coach be a good letter of recommendation?
6) how many letters did you have in all?

Sorry this is a long post of pretty dumb questions!! I just need some help!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I would go in and talk to them

2) I didn't have to give mine anything since i went to a small school and had them in class for 3-4 years. But I would print out a CV/Resume and give them that. Going to talk to them in person could also serve as an "interview" where they can get an idea of what you've been up to throughout undergrad

3) I personally would ask. It's my personal opinion that writing letters of Rec is part of any professor's job description. As long as you are giving them ample time to write the letter, I don't see a problem in asking.

4) Again, our school had two professors who made up our "Pre-Health Committee". They had a 4-5 page packet they put together for everyone who was applying. If your school doesn't have their own form/guidelines for faculty then I would let the professor just write a standard letter about you.

5) Only if your soccer coach likes you. It probably won't help a ton, but it certainly can't hurt. The great thing about coaches is that they can often times comment on interpersonal and leadership skills that most faculty and pods who you shadowed would be clueless about. Actually, I would definitely ask the coach for a letter. I used a letter from a coach for an outside scholarship for pod school. So even if that letter doesn't make a difference as far as pod admissions go, it'll be on a computer somewhere and can be printed out again and again for any scholarship app.

6)I had 1 giant letter/packet from our pre-health committee (which counted as 2 letters from science faculty) and 2 letters from podiatrists. I could have sworn that one program wanted 2 letters from pods, I don't know why else I would have done that, but I could be wrong.

1)If it is a professor which you were particularly close to you could call but I would try to make an effort to meet face to face.
2)I think a CV would be a good idea as well as your personal statement.
3)Ask. The worst that could happen is that they say no.
4)I asked professors to write a LOR and they basically knew what to do.
5)A soccer coach could be a great personal reference. They could talk to your work ethic and personality but not much more.
6)I don't remember if I had 3 or 4. Whatever was asked for in the application.

Depending on who you ask and how well you know the person, don't be too surprised if they ask you to write your own that they will sign. The Dr. that I shadowed did that. He had me write my own LOR and he just printed it off on his stationary and signed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking of asking for my letters of recommendations for podiatry school this week and I was just confused on some things. If anyone knows answers to any of these questions it would help...these might be stupid questions but I really searched around and couldn't find anything :confused:

1) I have not had the teachers I plan on asking for over a year, so I am not that close with them. I was wondering if I should personally go to their office or if an email would suffice?
2) What did you give your recommenders as a supplement to help them write the letters? Your personal statement? Resume? or some other form of statement?
3) Has anyone ever asked the same teacher for more than 1 recommendation? (I asked the one I plan on asking if he could fill out a page recommendation for a job I applied to, and I feel like asking him for this would be a nuisance?) What do you guys think?
4) What are the teachers actually filling out? Do they just write a paragraph or two about you, or is there some guideline/paper you give them?
5) Would getting a letter from my soccer coach be a good letter of recommendation?
6) how many letters did you have in all?

Sorry this is a long post of pretty dumb questions!! I just need some help!

I gave my letter writers, my Resume, Personal Statement and met with them and discussed why I was pursuing podiatric medicine. I would setup a meeting via email and meet in person. If it has been a while you could say I had you last Fall and would like to setup a time where I can meet with you and discuss my previous coursework in your class....or something like that.

I used med letters for job references. I mean if they are attesting to your character, your work ethic and are convinced of your ability to succeed in med school its a good letter of reference (period).

Get 2 academic letters (at least 1 science prof) and 1 Pod letter. That is the minimum requirement. Soccer coach must be post high school and would not count toward this requirement but would be an extra.

Look into your school and see if they have a letter service. Those things are a life saver, they have forms that your profs probably have filled out before for previous students and maintain the confidentiality of the letters while still being able to send them out on your request. I would start shadowing 2 different podiatrists and get a letter from them when you feel comfortable. As with school profs, just ask all of them, they should understand where you're coming from. worst that can happen is that they say no :p

thanks guys! I just asked 2 past professors and they both don't mind at all...I guess i made it a bigger deal then it was! I was just worried because I am graduating in June but I am moving out of the state next year so I just wanted everything ready, even though I am not actually applying till February